·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me?
I'm looking for yamaha 4cm (not 4c) mouthpiece for soprano sax
i've searched on ebay amazon and other UK or US online shop
but they dont want to ship it to Malaysia

anyone know where i can find it? or anyone who have can offer me..

or anyone can suggest me any good and cheap mpc? cheap means below $100 of course
because i havent become a pro yet...
thanks for the help anyway

·
Registered
860 Posts
Have you checked http://www.saxplus.com/ ? If you pay in advance, they won't object to shipping something to Malaysia, I daresay. As for alternatives, I really like Rico (Graftonites or Metalites) for the price (they're very cheap) - for soprano, I personally prefer the B chamber (Gratonite). If you consider a Yamaha 4C, a Rico Graftonite B3 will probably do; if you consider working on your chops, a B5 may prove more flexible.

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the suggestion,

no yamaha on that shop :(
and i prefer non-plastic mpc
because the durability..

so any other good suggestion?

how about bari and Claude Lakey rubber? it's still under $100 :)
Im sorry for asking too much question, I never buy a new mpc, so I don't know which brand is good or famous

·
Registered
860 Posts
The durability of plastic is as good as the durability of hard rubber - plus, you won't have any decoloration. In my experience, though, refacing/refurbishing is a little easier with hard rubber. Use bite plates, and you're set.

As for brands, I didn't play Bari or Lakey mouthpieces, so I can't say anything about them. But I can say that the Otto Link ToneEdge (hard rubber) mouthpieces are great for the price. I've played on a Link TE 7 for the last several years, and only recently have I found a superior piece (a PPT 6). A Link TE should set you up fine. How long have you been playing soprano (or sax, at that)? What other mouthpieces have you used (not only on soprano)?

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I had a 4CM and prefer the standard models. A 5C should have the same tip as a 4CM as all Customs are .002" more open in the same number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The durability of plastic is as good as the durability of hard rubber - plus, you won't have any decoloration. In my experience, though, refacing/refurbishing is a little easier with hard rubber. Use bite plates, and you're set.

As for brands, I didn't play Bari or Lakey mouthpieces, so I can't say anything about them. But I can say that the Otto Link ToneEdge (hard rubber) mouthpieces are great for the price. I've played on a Link TE 7 for the last several years, and only recently have I found a superior piece (a PPT 6). A Link TE should set you up fine. How long have you been playing soprano (or sax, at that)? What other mouthpieces have you used (not only on soprano)?

M.
i c

how about meyer?

I played 3 years ago and had been played for 1/2 year.. and then stopped..
2 months ago I started to play it again, I don't know what is the mpc brand, i have it when i bought the sax, it have nothing on the body (no letter, no brand name)
i think it's a default mpc for cannonball sax? :S

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
If you dont know what you tried then stick with the yamaha. The standrad models are better than the customs in my opinion. I agree with Bruce. Try a 5C from woodwind and brasswind or music 123. Or Amzon will get yoy what you want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
music 123 does not ship to malaysia
it's hard to find a vendor that sell yamaha mpc and want to ship to malaysia :(

·
Registered
860 Posts
As far as I know, Cannonball's standard mouthpieces are branded "Cannonball"; I was told they were made by Bari, but I have no means to prove that. All I know is that I didn't like the one I got with my tenor - it was kind of stuffy. I've played Meyer and Otto Link (as I said before), but only Link on soprano. I actually like both, but the Link was (in fact, still is) great for soprano - even if my PPT is better (for me).

That said, I agree with what has been said: I think that you'll be better off with the standard Yamaha for the time being - or with the Rico Graftonite B chamber I mentioned first (even if that's just my take). It'd be a lot better to play them first instead of order them online, though. If you absolutely need to order online, the Yamaha (or the Rico) is a good, reliable and really cheap piece. Just remember: The mouthpiece has to fit you, not anyone else.

M.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Fatnir, I don't know about companies shipping to Malaysia; I would think they would have shipping you could pay for to get their product anywhere in the world.

I do understand you've said you want a rubber mouthpiece, but I want to add to the folks who have said the plastic Yamaha pieces are just fine. I've had my soprano for four years, and I use a Yamaha 6C plastic mouthpiece with Rico Royal #2 reeds. The piece plays very well and easy, and merely has light surface scratches where my upper teeth rest on it. I am sure that mouthpiece will last me for years to come, and it only cost about $30.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
I am a fan of the Yamaha sop mouthpieces. I use a 5C. A 6C might be interesting too. They all cost about $25 US. If plastic scares you, buy three at once - a primary and two backups, one to carry on jobs. You'll have paid no more than for an "average" mouthpiece. WWBW should keep you supplied in Malaysia. You can probably trust them to handle a pre-paid order. They are honest although they do screw up from time to time (like sending my keyboard to my kid's house. At least they kept it in the family.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
maybe the call would cost more than the mouthpiece......... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts