Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a High School Student who just started recording, and I would like some input from SotW. I know this isn't the best quality or my best recording, so please leave any comments or inputs on how I can improve or even tips on recording better. And please don't give me unnecessary rude comments please. The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNIz_o6a2P0

·
Registered
556 Posts
Warren Hill has a great version of this tune. If you could copy some of his licks you'd be the BMOC (Big man on campus)! :eek:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds excellent for a high school player, saxyminime! Recordings are always tricky in and of themselves. Probably lots of folks on here can help with that. Just a quick observation or two. I felt like maybe your tone needed more support a few times. You seemed to thin out toward the end of some of the phrases. I've been a vocalist and sax player for a long time and I still do breath exercises to maximize my air support and (I know you've heard this one ad nauseum) those long tones are critical. I'd say take charge more of your notes, both the entry and the exit could be more deliberate in some phrases. I'm sure you'll get more specific remarks from others. There are some fantastic teachers on here who are always willing to help. You're doing GREAT! Keep up your practice and keep reaching for more. And have lots of FUN! All the best!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Nice intonation up there where you were playing. Nice tone too.

If you play some more notes nearer the bottom range of your horn, it will make the highs sound even more beautiful.

·
Registered
156 Posts
first off, your phrasing is pretty good for a high school student.
it sounded like some of the higher notes didn't want to speak as well as the middle register. don't try to lip up too much when you hit those notes, I'm just guessing but that's a common problem (I constantly have to make sure I don't get into that habit). Instead use faster uninterrupted air flow to make sure you have a consistent sound to get those notes to sing.

As for recording I haven't done much of it myself, but it sounds like using a little bit of reverb on the sax might be appropriate with the style of the tune.

Keep playing man, you're doing well for a high school student.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the compliments! I actually do not know what ad nauseum is. And I think majority of the problem is sound that is recorded on the mic

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
And I think majority of the problem is sound that is recorded on the mic
That seems to be a problem shared by at least one other high school student here, as well. I agree with Soul Patch Paul; take charge of your notes. Like Coach Boone said to Sunshine in Remember the Titans: "You're the colonel. Command your troops."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts