Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a sax that came with this mouthpiece and I'm curious about finding out more information about it. It's a 4* alto mouthpiece. It says "Designed by Arnold Brilhart" and "Ebolin" on one side with a serial number of 1479. Anyone know when it could have been manufactured?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, it looks like I have one of the earliest mouthpieces, although the article doesn't state when the mouthpieces were made, which I'd be interested to know.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The member Peterogping seems to have an excellent Brilhart knowledge and appears to be amassing a serial number database.
Trying PMing him if you want.

It does sound like it's an early one - probably late 40's?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My initial searches on the forum didn't turn up information about a mouthpiece like mine (four-digit serial number and "Designed by"), so they didn't seem relevant. The mouthpiece came with a Martin alto that I bought that dates around 1940, so it's possible the mouthpiece was picked up around the same time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
My initial searches on the forum didn't turn up information about a mouthpiece like mine (four-digit serial number and "Designed by"), so they didn't seem relevant. The mouthpiece came with a Martin alto that I bought that dates around 1940, so it's possible the mouthpiece was picked up around the same time.
You are right. Arnold Brilhart started the manufacture of saxophone mouthpieces late 1938. The first he produced, as evidenced on Theo Wanne's excellent site, were marked "Designed by Arnold Brilhart". Yours is very likely from 1939, just like my tenor piece.
Yours is extra interesting for me as it is my example # 11 of a pair of different mouthpieces with identical serial numbers. I already have a Tonalite alto mpc with s/n 1479 in my spread sheets. (Which you can download from www.saxmundstykker.dk Look at sheet #2 "Serials" and go to the top.
Can you please confirm: The 3* tip opening is marked on the table? On the shank is printed Great Neck New York?
Re: Different mouthpieces with identical serial numbers. Go to the last spread sheet in the workbook "Doubles" and you'll see the other examples, showing that Brilhart ran parallel serial numbers, both in Great Neck and in Carlsbad. I am probing into this as it helps my ultimate goal with the collection of info on serial numbered Brilharts: To help in dating specific mouthpieces.
Hope you can answer my two questions above.
Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the shank has Great Neck, N.Y. printed on it, although mostly only the N.Y. is readable. It is marked 4* on the table. Cool! Thanks for the info! The mouthpiece was a surprise addition when I bought the sax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts