Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I recently bought desenclos' prelude cadence et finale. It's an amazing piece, but i find it quite difficult. Can anyone offer some advice? Any recordings?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Practice the finale slowly, and count carefully. Spend a lot of time rehearsing with the piano if possible. I know of recordings by Otis Murphy, Joe Lulloff, Jean Yves Fourmeau, and Debra Richtmeyer. I like the Otis Murphy recording the most. It is off his CD "Memories of Dinant."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
I think it's helpful to approach this piece as a duet. There are definitely some conversational elements in the Desenclos. It's good to figure out where you are playing the melody and where you are accompanying the piano. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I second working on this piece as a duet.
As for other recordings, three brilliant ones are Claude Delangle's on A La Francaise, Nobuya Sugawa's from Fuzzy Bird Recital, and Arno Bornkamp's from Saxophone Sonatas.
Enjoy this piece!

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Steve Mauk's recording on "Distances Within Me" is very good as well.

Steve

·
Registered
639 Posts
qwerty said:
Steve Mauk's recording on "Distances Within Me" is very good as well.

Steve
Ya and I believe he is the only one that actually plays the mordants as they should be and not how everyone plays them today.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Practise the piece at a slow pace. Quality is imperative especially for this piece. Your air stream is very important. If you havent achieved a certain level of air focus, all your notes wont sound clear. All musicality, technique and ensemble are clearly shown in this piece while maintaining a mature musical attitude. The musical phrasing in the piece should be played in a subtle way(imo) so it seems natural but clear at the same time. Rhythm is a basic component as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... thanks, i havent found found an accompanist yet, but then again, i have a loonngg time to work on this piece. Thanks for the advice. I can see how playing this as a duet works for the finale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts