Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the faculty recital at my college a few days ago, a few friends and I got onto the topic of their own 'jam face', regardless of instrument. For example, one of the professors played a Brahms clarinet concerto(I think?) in F minor, and her only move was a clockwise 'stir the soup' type motion. Regardless of tempo, style or expression. The only part that varied was the speed of the stir.

Myself - Hunched over and appears to be sight-reading everything regardless if I basically have it memorized.

My roommate - Baby-makin' motions all the time, everytime. (Check us out here:
)

Regardless of how silly they are, I want to hear about everyone's jam face or unique body motions.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Oh, mine is so funny. I look as if I'm driving a powerboat at full tilt in the picturesque Alpine region of Italy.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
~My~ jam face?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Your roommate's technique needs work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,189 Posts
like this?
Hat Yellow Font Rectangle Sun hat

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
712 Posts
ugh, i hate watching video of myself playing. Lately I've taken to making a confused/worried expression when I play.. never used to be the case. also I move around a lot and sometimes go up on one leg, flamingo style. sometimes I also might jog in place slightly. awful.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Lately I've taken to making a confused/worried expression when I play.. never used to be the case. also I move around a lot and sometimes go up on one leg, flamingo style. sometimes I also might jog in place slightly. awful.
LOL.

I have noticed lately that I've started with the "closed eyes and head tilt as if I'm having a poo-poo" thing. I also do "one-legged excitement" from time to time. I think I may try the "jogging in place" which I imagine is the same as jogging on the spot and sounds absolutely hilarious.

Perhaps some level of physical eccentricity can be a good sign when playing for some people. It could suggest that there's phyical relaxation or lack of self-consciousness. People who are still not used to the instrument tend to be very stiff (from what i've observed). Nevertheless, there are also the "greats" who stayed pretty still (Parker and Ben Webster spring to mind).

·
3,589 Posts
I don't really walk around much but when I have freedom to move I tend to bow up and down. It's a little weird....

·
Registered
480 Posts
I tend to do this "chicken wing" thing whenever I play Bari. On the rest I just kinda sway back and forth in meter.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Being old, thankfully nobody wants to look at me anyway. Strong tendency towards the trance stare as I guess I'm trying not to be distracted and just in the music. I'm often staring at the guitarist or pianist's fingers to figure out what they are going to play. Closing my eyes so that it doesn't look like I'm a zombie is probably the best I can do. On occasions (when I'm comfortable or playing something that's easy) and there is a little kid in the audience dancing, I'll go out and dance with them while playing. Guess I need some moves. I like the idea of Kilter's jogging but would probably wear out too soon.

·
1,210 Posts
well, let's face it: despite the saxophone often being credited as "sexy", it's pretty hard not to look at least remotely stupid while playing. plus, it doesn't really leave opportunity for cool facial expressions (which is actually the main point).
in the past, i sometimes used to move quite a lot while playing, depending on the music. as of now, i usually enjoy playing the most when i am rather static, except maybe for some quite excessive phases when the going gets funky.
i sometimes tend to let air slip into my cheeks, puffing them a little. that looks really dumb.
this is a short video, the most recent one:
this one's older:

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Jam face- well, apparantly I have a "High G" face. The trumpet player in our group says I look like I'm being hurt when I hit altissimo G and up. My eyes close and my face tightens... so he says. Then again, that's also what she said, so maybe there's a connection! Lol!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
This picture is pretty standard for me. Eyes closed, almost always. Head up. When I get really into a solo, sometimes I start a funny little side-to-side dance, slightly lifting right leg, then left, then right. When I get very enthusiastic, I'm told I sometimes start stomping my foot as I'm playing (I have no memory of this, but have seen video evidence from gigs. Pretty funny looking, actually, but passionate).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Soloing it's eyes closed, unison/section playing its stare down the crowd, and when not playing I tend to dance around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts