Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out. I had the privilege of seeing Derek Brown on his Fifty fifty tour of the United States. He played a tiny venue at Metro State University. With a free hour long workshop before hand to give some tips on a few of his "beatbox" techniques.

Really really awesome guy and a fun little show.
If you're in the States, see if yours is left on his tour and go check it out!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,116 Posts
What a saxophonist this guy is?!? It is bound to stir up mixed feelings and it isn't all my cup of coffee, but it sure is skill, guts, invention and determination in spades.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
Derek’s an interesting cat and he puts on a great clinic! Mixed feelings about music mostly boil down to the listener not being open or willing to accept new things.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I've only seen interviews but he's seems like a straight shooter. He discovered a unique voice on saxophone which isn't easy to do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,116 Posts
I've only seen interviews but he's seems like a straight shooter. He discovered a unique voice on saxophone which isn't easy to do.
Insanely difficult, no doubt, but I shouldn't even comment on this, as I am in a different profession and just play the sax as an amateur.

I quite like his own tunes, as provided by the following as example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7keWBDHGqU&list=WL&index=57

BTW, the video where he describes the modifications he has made to his sax interesting and entertaining. Just like his music and technique, not for the faint at heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18D7d6chum0&list=WL&index=60&t=23s

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
BTW, the video where he describes the modifications he has made to his sax interesting and entertaining. Just like his music and technique, not for the faint at heart.
Thanks for sharing that, I didn't realize he'd done so much to his horn. It's really cool to see him explain everything, there's no doubt he is a very creative and talented individual!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I met him and talked with him for some time during his visit to my university last semester. His playing isn't entirely my thing, but he is definitely a master of the saxophone.
Also, I just liked the guy. A lot of pros I've met didn't really rub me the right way, but Derek Brown has a down-to-earth personality and a wondrous worldview that make him very personable and also very inspiring.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Derek Brown and Leo P. are the new generation of saxophone innovators. Two totally original artists with no boundaries to their artistic visions. Much like Eddie Harris IMO They are keeping the saxophone alive and making it the center of attention more than pretty much any other instrument. And they are very young and have many decades ahead to dream up all sorts of new and incredible stuff. I'm
very excited about both of them!

There is absolutely no guitar, trumpet, keyboard etc. with anything remotely close to their fresh and radically inventive and hip approaches. Trombone Shorty gets a nod bit he cant touch these guys for originality.

They are both absolute heroes and deserve every bit of fame and fortune

·
Registered
533 Posts
It';s cool but I don';t think I could take more than a couple of tunes of it.
Your not the only one, I couldn't even get through one video. And I don't think the Eddie Harris comparison is justified. Eddie Harris was a master musician, composer, educator, and a brilliant improviser. I don't hear anything that comes even close to Harris with this guys playing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts