Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to Denver, & would love to find the best person to work on my saxes/flutes. I've been spoiled by going to Will Grizzle, in Atlanta, for many years....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Larry Naylor is in the south end of the metro area. If I didn't do my own work (he mentored me early in my career), I'd send it to him.

Lefty

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1 for Greg LaLiberté. He's a player, scholar, and gentleman who specializes in fine adjustments. Greg get's it.

-5 for Larry Naylor: I found him surly, condescending, and uninformed - that 'olde world crapsman attitude'. He dropped my '30's conn bari on his un-padded bench from about 3" in front of me without even saying, "oops", or checking for damage. Don't waste your time unless it's a simple fix and you're desperate.

Tim Glesmann (Sax Alley) up in Windsor is also quite good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I was back there, Matt, at Kolacny Music in South Denver did great work on all of my horns, and works on many of the pros in Denver Horns. With good reason.
No BS, just great competent work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was back there, Matt, at Kolacny Music in South Denver did great work on all of my horns, and works on many of the pros in Denver Horns. With good reason.
No BS, just great competent work.
I believe I went there when I first arrived in Denver, and it was quite an odd experience. I just needed a quick fix on my soprano, and I had to give it to someone at the front counter, who took it behind closed doors. I have never just handed off my horn to an unknown entity, not allowed to be there while someone checks out or fixes my horn, and thought the entire experience weird & very off-putting. I'm a pro player, that's my axe, and to not even be able to be present when someone is working with it, much less even see who the person is, was IMHO quite unprofessional, and why I've never returned. So, I have no idea if your guy Matt, or some high school kid, worked on it....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 for Greg LaLiberté. He's a player, scholar, and gentleman who specializes in fine adjustments. Greg get's it.

-5 for Larry Naylor: I found him surly, condescending, and uninformed - that 'olde world crapsman attitude'. He dropped my '30's conn bari on his un-padded bench from about 3" in front of me without even saying, "oops", or checking for damage. Don't waste your time unless it's a simple fix and you're desperate.
Very interesting, I too, had heard good things about Greg LaLiberte', and actually had Larry Naylor do some work on my tenor a while back. You hate his attitude & work, yet someone else loves it, which figures, as with music, other musicians, etc., our tastes are so very subjective. I'm not sure how I would rate him, but he did get my tenor playing better. I had moved to the very dry Denver, from the very humid Atlanta, and he said my problem was that my pads had dried out & contracted, and he "fluffed them back up" or something to that effect. He wasn't cheap, but was very close by, and I needed the work done pretty badly. It did play better, so I can't complain...
It's so hard to figure who to do the work, as my horns are my livelihood, and my babies, and no one seems to be very inexpensive, so for all those reasons, I only want to have the very best do what work I need. Having developed a good relationship with a world class technician in Atlanta, who would give me a good break on prices if I came to his home, and paid cash, it's difficult being somewhere without having that knowledge & rapport...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts