Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, due partly to ignorance and partly to laziness I am unable to decipher the tone row from which the first movement of the Denisov Sonata is constructed from. Would anyone be able to assist me by providing the row and/or matrix please?!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I'm not familiar with the piece but is it strictly twelve tone with no repeated tones (except returning tones maybe)? If so, you should be able to construct it by listing out the tones in succession and build it that way. Go through a few sequences of it before you build though and you can maybe see if there is a diversion.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
It's the same as the 1st twelve notes of the saxophone part in Mvt. III. In Mvt. one, the row is distributed between saxophone and piano in the pointillistic opening. I don't have it in front of me, but I think it's:
B-C-A-G#-Bb-F-F#-G-E-D-C#-Eb
I also recall that, in concert pitch, and in German (D-S-C-H) the opening pitches are an homage to Dmitri Shostakovich.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
drakesaxprof said:
It's the same as the 1st twelve notes of the saxophone part in Mvt. III. In Mvt. one, the row is distributed between saxophone and piano in the pointillistic opening. I don't have it in front of me, but I think it's:
B-C-A-G#-Bb-F-F#-G-E-D-C#-Eb
I also recall that, in concert pitch, and in German (D-S-C-H) the opening pitches are an homage to Dmitri Shostakovich.
That's really cool...I never knew about the Shostakovich thing!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
SOmeone told me that Lulu was constructed as a letter as well. Anyone care to confirm or deny?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Yes, Lulu was one of a series of letters from Alban Berg to his love Hanna Fuchs.

Angel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts