Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know how sometimes you get a hesitation/delay between when you blow and when the note sounds, especially on the palm keys? Well I’m finding that b flat 3 is doing it when played as part of a phrase which includes the palm keys. What’s that all about??? Also, any tips on not hesitating when playing quietly?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Not once have I noticed a delay on the palm keys or side Bb. My sax is a tenor and the keys open reasonably high above their respective tone holes.

Perhaps one of your key pads is sticking. If you're playing a soprano, perhaps a hole is becoming plugged.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,332 Posts
One thing to check is to make sure you are not pinching down too hard on the reed on the palm keys. A relaxed embouchure and air support in the upper registers can make sure your reed can respond quickly.

·
Registered
411 Posts
One thing to check is to make sure you are not pinching down too hard on the reed on the palm keys. A relaxed embouchure and air support in the upper registers can make sure your reed can respond quickly.
Agree. Whenever I have a problem getting a note to sound exactly when I blow into it the mouthpiece, I know I have a reed or embouchure problem....funny how it only happens on certain notes.

If your reed is getting too soft (due to use), you are going to have a problem hitting the higher notes which require the palm keys.

On the embouchure side, you might also try opening your throat more and and sucking your checks in a bit so you get more air going straight at the front of the mouthpiece reed. It’s funny loose lips and sucked in cheeks works for me on the high notes.....loose lips and puffed out cheeks works better for me on low notes......I’m sure someone will criticize me on my technique....but it works for me.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You know how sometimes you get a hesitation/delay between when you blow and when the note sounds, especially on the palm keys? Well I’m finding that b flat 3 is doing it when played as part of a phrase which includes the palm keys. What’s that all about??? Also, any tips on not hesitating when playing quietly?
The amount of air we blow determines the volume of the sound we produce. It is the pressure behind the air that determines the response and intensity. Intensity should not be confuse with loudness or volume. Sometimes when we try to play softly and reduce the volume of air we also reduce the pressure behind the air and the tone or intensity of the note suffers or it does not respond. Teachers sometimes use the phrase "when playing softly, you need to blow harder". It sounds like a contradiction but it means that playing softly requires much more "breath support" or the term I prefer "pressurized air".

In terms of notes not responding right after playing palm key notes, I have discovered that sometimes when there is excessive side to side play in keys that are loose on their hinge rods they can sometimes close where the indentation in the pad misses the tonehole rim causing it to leak. These are hard to find because it happens intermittently. The worst offenders are usually the palm keys and the side C or Bb. The solution is to have a tech swedge the keys to restore them to a tight fit and then put in a fresh pad.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Thanks for that. I’ll see what I can do.
The simple way to diagnose what saxoclese is suggesting is to wiggle the keycups on your palm keys. Then drop the key. If the pad isn't immediately resting on its seat, then that's the likely culprit.

Outside of mechanical issues, it may be a reed/mouthpiece issue, cork issue, or embouchure issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts