Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me find some before and after photos of a saxophone that has undergone a de-laqueriing?

Unfortunately Flickr and other similar photo sharing sites are mostly blocked where I am.

·
Registered
474 Posts
OK....I'll bite. Why is this important? I'm not being critical...I'm truly curious.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because I'd like to see whether to my eyes it is an improvement to the look and therefore something I would like to try.

Or are you asking what is important about whether a photo had been left out of the post? My reading of the previous post showed no link to any other SOTW thread, external photos or one actually embedded in the thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,597 Posts
Just look for photos of lacquered and unlacquered horns - and then look at the Statue of Liberty for the unlacquered plus patinaed look.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,120 Posts
bare brasstorations by Matt Stohrer

...aka abadcliche on the Forum. Martin Typewriter soprano and Buescher New Aristocrat tenor, done in 2006.

Matt strips by hand only, no machine buffing, so your toneholes are in no danger. Plus - they play like nobody's business.

No "before" pix, sorry. Lacquer was more than half gone and the horns looked sad-/\ss.

"5 years later" pic to follow.

·
7,120 Posts
5 Years Later

Area with the most tarnish. Dark spot at right is a bird engraved after stripping.

·
7,120 Posts
It's been a while since I've done it. I recall Brasso leaves a shine, which has to be rubbed down a bit because Matt finished it off with Scotchbrite material. That's what gave the brushed look, but it's not permanent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,597 Posts
Take a look at Phil's website to see various finishes - bare brass is what you get when freshly unlacquered or freshly never lacquered.

After that it starts going dull - until you polish a spot or two and those are bright for a while. Unlacquered finishes can be rather dynamic that way - I prefer something to protect the horn against its tendencies to tarnish.

http://philbarone.com/saxophones/tenor/classic.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I recently de-lacquered a black Yanagisawa. It looked like a new tenor right after de-lacquering, but its now starting to take on a unique character. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts