Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Have you tried a forum search on this word?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, search woudl be nice.
But as far as I beleive there are two popular methods to stripping lacquer, buffing and chemical stripping.

But delacquering will require taking the sax apart. So I'd recommend doign this with a tech.

This is all from my head, I'm not exactly sure abotu all of this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,691 Posts
I delaquered mine, just put it into paint stripper, its just like any other type of protective coating, Comes up a treat. However if youve got corrosion holes eg its gone orange then you gotta remove the pits or itll just get worse, I plastic media blasted all the remaining laquer of and removed all the corrosion, I had a mate rebuff it and then I relaquered, came up a million bucks, next time I probbaly wouldnt rebuff just simply plastic media blast and then laquer, gives it a little bit of a tarnished look without the corrosion
Steve

·
Registered
226 Posts
I find delacquering to be the easy part. Ferees has a great stripper that works fast and doesn't seem that toxic. But then you have hours and hours of buffing ahead of you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,010 Posts
Buffing is never used to de-lacquer, except maybe by an idiot. Buffing is part of the polishing process. Lacquer is removed by chemicals or hot water/detergent. A de-lacquered sax can be maintained easily if given a 'clear-coat' to prevent the brass from tarnishing. It can be de-lacquered and clear-coated time after time with no degradation to the brass.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
1saxman said:
A de-lacquered sax can be maintained easily if given a 'clear-coat' to prevent the brass from tarnishing. It can be de-lacquered and clear-coated time after time with no degradation to the brass.

Anyone fancy a bash at explaining the difference between a "Clear Coat" and a coat of lacquer???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Let's not get the terms buffing and polishing confused.

I have spent many hours hand polishing after stripping the old lacquer. I also take a very small metal pick and clean the lacquer, pitina and grime out of the the engraving.

That takes a long time too. But it make all the difference in the world. It's a labor of love from me. I just wish I have more time to do things like this. Maybe when I retire in another twenty years. :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,691 Posts
DougR said:
Anyone fancy a bash at explaining the difference between a "Clear Coat" and a coat of lacquer???
Thatd be a coat of Mmmm Lacquer. Sorry you beat me to the punch, I read the post and went, what the. Doesnt matter we all have finger flubie duby jubies, and the hand is moving slower than the brain, sometimes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts