Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have thoughts about what this would do to the value of a 1949 Zephyr alto? I'm looking at one and the seller states that he had it delacquered and the brass polished becase this was an original finish offered by King. Not sure this is the case though for 1949. Seems right in the sweet spot for these horns and I've wanted one for a while, just concerned about the effect on resale. Thanks!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,641 Posts
Anyone have thoughts about what this would do to the value of a 1949 Zephyr alto? I'm looking at one and the seller states that he had it delacquered and the brass polished becase this was an original finish offered by King. !
I'm not sure about that and it's not a good reason to have it done. I mean, would you remove original lacquer and have a horn silver plated purely because that is an option offered by the manufacturer.

Also to the point is whether any part of the horn was damaged in the delacquering, e.g. was any of the engraving made less sharp, was abrasive used. If there are marks, e.g. from wire wool, they can be removed, but the removal process (e.g. buffing) could potentially damage the engraving.

IMO, a delacquered horn is worth less than one with original lacquer, it sounds to me like that seller is just trying it on so be careful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts