Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It pains me to have to share this about a product, especially one I loved for so many years. After having 2 clips break on gigs, one resulting in a flying MK VI and another almost coming out of my hands, you'd think I would have just stopped using the DeJacques. But they were truly my fav for many reasons. However, this is the last straw.

Seems it was eating through the hook ring on my horn. I've switched to an Oleg strap and love it. Yikes, keep an eye out if you use a DeJacques. I really hate to say anything negative about anyone, but this is bad. I've only had this horn a few years.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah, I still use them but I have never had one break or damage my horn like that. I usually switch them out after a few months and only use them on gigs. At home I use an oleg also to practice it is very comfortable. But, thanks for the heads up.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I had one about 5 years ago. It annoyed be when my ring began to show signs of wear but I was more than annoyed when the catch broke. Luckily I was playing a middle D or another note with a lot a fingers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
your tech will be able to restore or replace that fairly easily and quickly

·
Registered
428 Posts
I Always go for plastic clips myself. A high grade engineered type plastic doesn't wear the ring and I've never had one break. I suppose age of the plastic may have an effect, my oldest strap is a 10 year neotech. I dislike metal as it scratches finish and wears support rings. Thr DeJacques strap seems to rely on quite a thin piece of metal to hold on with it's jaw mechanism.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have to report the same happening to me, twice! Once, my Mark VI fell to the floor (not good at all), and once I was able to catch it. As much as I love them, I just can't use them any longer, much too dangerous... And I too, saw it wearing down my ring. The first time it broke, the company replaced it, as I thought they have a lifetime warranty on them, however, after the second one, they ignored all attempts at communication, also not good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
yehp, experienced same issues. Quick response saved my horn from crashing to the ground. That was it for me. Have been using Rico padded strap for last 2-3 years. They work well with both alto and tenor on a gig where your moving around in terms of adjustment facility.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
yehp, experienced same issues. Quick response saved my horn from crashing to the ground. That was it for me. Have been using Rico padded strap for last 2-3 years. They work well with both alto and tenor on a gig where your moving around in terms of adjustment facility.
These are GREAT straps. Cheap, too. I have one padded strap in each case, and an extra 'regular' one. I love the curvy hook.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Reviving this thread. I've been interested in the DeJacques strap after seeing videos of Bob Reynolds and Joshua Redman using it. There are YT videos going back 15 years of Joshua using various colors of the DeJacques, some very worn out, all the way to today. Every video I find in this period he's using DeJacques. With the issues described here I'd think they'd have given up on them, but no, even Bob's latest video from 3 days ago shows a DeJacques on his neck while he's talking to the camera!? And Bob has a pristine SBA. I'd be really bummed to see its neckstrap ring eaten this badly, let alone have the horn drop from his neck.

I'm stumped!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I have always used metal hooks (Blue Note straps). I dip the hook in Plasti Dip about every six months or so. Sturdy steel hook, but no ring wear.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
Out of curiosity, I looked at a photo of the DeJacques strap and it looks like there's a very thin metal rod that hooks on the strap ring. Almost a knife edge, so no wonder it wears down the ring. On top of that, the part that holds the horn also looks kind of fragile and a bit 'Rube Goldberg.' Just looking at the photo, I wouldn't trust it.

Anyway, now that we have the Just Joe strap, I see no reason to use anything else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reviving this thread. I've been interested in the DeJacques strap after seeing videos of Bob Reynolds and Joshua Redman using it. There are YT videos going back 15 years of Joshua using various colors of the DeJacques, some very worn out, all the way to today. Every video I find in this period he's using DeJacques. With the issues described here I'd think they'd have given up on them, but no, even Bob's latest video from 3 days ago shows a DeJacques on his neck while he's talking to the camera!? And Bob has a pristine SBA. I'd be really bummed to see its neckstrap ring eaten this badly, let alone have the horn drop from his neck.

I'm stumped!
Well, they are amazing in every way except security! I knew of the dangers for years and was warned several times about them. Still I used one. And until it happened to me, twice!, I stayed with them. The ring deterioration was the last straw. You've been warned! No go see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I love the simplicity of the strap and slide on these but that clasp design does not inspire confidence I must say.

·
Registered
773 Posts

I'm stumped!
I used the DeJacques neck strap for maybe 20 years. I had 2, one for alto and one for tenor. I did notice wear on both the alto and tenor strap ring, but continued to use them, until the plastic around the hooking mechanism crack while I was rehearsing with a big band. The sax section was going over a sax soli when it happen. I felt the horn going airborne, and because I was fingering an E, middle of the staff, I was able to keep my tenor from falling.

That day was the last day I used the DeJacques neck strap. It is a very comfortable strap, however I've heard too many stories similar to mine.

Given the design, of the hooking mechanism, molded in plastic, the strap WILL break, it's just a matter of how long that will take. And the thin metal pin in the mechanism WILL wear down the strap ring, given time. I have evidence of that on my Mark VI tenor. The alto that I was using during that period has been sold, but it too had the wear in the strap ring.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
That's why I always tell student to always have at least one hand on the saxophone. That is my rule of thumb as much as possible. If I have to play tambourine then I take the sax off and put it on it's stand. No matter how good a strap is there is always a possibility the strap could break........

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had my DeJacques strap break mid-solo. (I was warned as well.) Lucky for me, I caught my horn before it hit the floor. It was a very comfortable strap. Now, I have both a Cebula and a Just Joe's and have never looked back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts