Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is going to sound crazy but the last couple of gigs I've had I had a horrible time hearing my intonation. I mean it was crazy. I knew I was in tune to a tuner but everything sounded wacked. The last gig I realized I hadn't had a drink of water in 3-4 days(lots of coffee though:D ) I had a thought that maybe I was dehydrated and it was somehow affecting my hearing. Tonight I had a gig and I drank tons of water all day. Maybe it was a coincidence but it was so much easier to play. I could tell immediately if I was flat or sharp on notes and it was so much easier to play in tune all night long. Anyone else know if there's anything to this? I'm just curious. From now on I'm drinking tons of water......:shock:

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
It makes sense to me. Dehydration is very likely to effect your ears among other things. There is no substitute for good clean fresh water. I have a family owned genuine spring nearby I get gallons from for a quarter each.
Most people are dehydrated. Fuzzy sweet drinks and so on do not get the job done.
I heard this guy speak on the radio before he passed and it changed my beverage life Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, M.D. , an amazing doctor from Iran who was able to escape there.
His website is watercure.com. Getting off of paul newman lemonade and onto good clean water had huge health benefits for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Coffee, contrary to New Age myth, doesn't cause dehydration. However, caffeine is a psychoactive drug, and you had lots of it before your intonation problems. So I know what I'd pick on as an explanation.

But hey, what do I know - I'm just a doctor who spent a few years doing physiology.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I don't know that coffee causes dehydration but there are doctors who say emphatically that it does not hydrate effectively.

·
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Well you guys come out of a tradition that has more to do with blood letting then nutrition. No offense to you personally but an MD is pretty low down on the list of sources of good nutritional information seeing how little time is spent on such subjects in medical schools. And there are docs on the payrolls of various "councils" who will extol the health benefits of McDonalds and Diet Pepsi and other toxic sludge. Next to that the guy with the pendulum looks pretty good and the dowsers even better. :)

·
1,033 Posts
Quite possibly true. But compare that to many of the trendy nutritionist gurus who come from a tradition of... not even being able to digest the science, let alone contribute to it before they spew out bestselling paperbacks.

I've had 30 years of picking up the pieces from people who have been misled by correspondence-course experts and get-rich-quick gurus. Most have a heady seasoning of anti-medical conspiracy theories. Hell, I've even shared column space in the medical press with some of them. But something as basic as "coffee dehydrates" is easily amenable to scientific study. It has been studied. It isn't true. And the study has not been done by the paperback writers, or the vega-testers, but by the blinkered medics who spent several years studying the basic science before anyone let them loose on patients.

Anyway, I come from a tradition of nutrition, having been eating all my life. That qualifies me to write a paperback, I reckon.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
potiphar said:
...having been eating all my life. That qualifies me to write a paperback, I reckon.
no doubt it would be a potboiler :)

You make some good points, its true there are lots of quacks both in and outside the establishment.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Since there's a doctor in the house, what about the dangers of fluoridated tap water? At least in here in Arkansas, much of the state's water supply is fluoridated. The general argument is that it's good for dental health, but I've seen research indicating a)the benefits are only from topical application, as opposed to drinking it; b)it's a carcinogen!; c)dental health isn't really significantly better in areas that fluoridate. Obviously, fluoride is good for teeth, but is it worth the tradeoff of drinking it, watering our plants with it, showering in it, etc.? Sorry to hijack, if only slightly. Anyone with opinions and/or fact-based knowledge on the subject?

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
potiphar said:
Quite possibly true. But compare that to many of the trendy nutritionist gurus who come from a tradition of... not even being able to digest the science, let alone contribute to it before they spew out bestselling paperbacks.
Anyway, I come from a tradition of nutrition, having been eating all my life. That qualifies me to write a paperback, I reckon.
Dear Doctor Potiphar,

Mr Toot (a *very regular* man, I might add) has very kindly lent me his account so I can have a few words:

I sense some bitterness in your aura. Just because I have made lots of money from examining people's poo, writing books about same and telling them off about it doesn't mean you have to be such a grumbler, does it? I am attaching a photo of the results of my many years of nutritional research. I suggest you keep it in your wallet to motivate you as you try to find some way to improve your diet and the colour of your stool.

yours sincerely.
DOCTOR gillian mckeith
(Graduate of the University of Daylight Robbery)

·
1,033 Posts
Well, krit and I have already hijacked it so here goes. I'm no dentist, but happen to live 5 miles from a town with naturally high fluoride in the water, even before they started adding the stuff. It had historically good dental health.

So again it's very common to find the truth manipulated to suit the preferred outcome - official dental sources probably would be the best source of reliable research data.

I was agin fluoridation of water when it was being propounded in the 70s purely on "leave nature alone" arguments. I was against seat belts and statins too, but I'm a rebel at heart. But the fact that my kids grew up with nary a filling on the stuff, and I have lots even though I used fluoride toothpaste from my youth, sways me a bit.

Anyway, since I can't avoid drinking it I'm blowed if I'm going to lose sleep when I'm far more likely to die from eating chips or even from the base metals in my metal Link. Of course if you drink 5l of water a day to stave of the dehydration, you'll reach toxic levels in no time!

BTW the drainage infrastructure in Britain failed during the recent floods, and I'm convinced it's because of all these people with their poxy water bottles peeing the country into the sea. Stick to bitter, guys!

·
1,033 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Dear Doctor Potiphar,

Mr Toot (a *very regular* man, I might add) has very kindly lent me his account so I can have a few words:

I sense some bitterness in your aura. Just because I have made lots of money from examining people's poo, writing books about same and telling them off about it doesn't mean you have to be such a grumbler, does it? I am attaching a photo of the results of my many years of nutritional research. I suggest you keep it in your wallet to motivate you as you try to find some way to improve your diet and the colour of your stool.

yours sincerely.
DOCTOR gillian mckeith
(Graduate of the University of Daylight Robbery)
Gillian McKeith - the Kenny G of the health world! Wash your mouth out with mineral water

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
According to the Fremen of dune, we're all water fat.:cool:

'Drink drink drink, oh fiddledeedink. I can dance with a drink in my hand.';)

Elvis Presley-Bossa Nova Baby

·
1,033 Posts
Huffing Helium will do it soprano.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
hakukani said:
According to the Fremen of dune, we're all water fat.:cool:
There is authoritative support for this hypothesis. In an ancient episode of Star Trek, a race of silicon-based beings repeatedly refer to Captain Kirk with the epithet "O ugly sack of mosty water." Considering how he turned out, they most definitely had a point.

I'm sure this relates to the saxophone somehow.:cyclopsa:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
There is authoritative support for this hypothesis. In an ancient episode of Star Trek, a race of silicon-based beings repeatedly refer to Captain Kirk with the epithet "O ugly sack of mosty water." Considering how he turned out, they most definitely had a point.

I'm sure this relates to the saxophone somehow.:cyclopsa:

I have been a observer of the phenomenon of the water bottle.

When I was younger, you got a beverage, drank it, or went to a water fountain, drank your fill.

Now everybody seems to carry around a 2 liter bottle of water, and sip, sip, sip all day long. It's like they're permanently dehydrated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts