Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi SOTW fellows,
I must to admit I didn't use this subforum in the past. I recently posted here asking about sax/case compatibility. I received a lot of replies but I also did a lot of search here. I realized a lot of post are about this but the information is mixed and not too easy to find (or not as easy as I'd like). So, I decided to start a project called "Definitive Saxophone Case Compatibility Chart" which should be feed with our experiences. I propose to share a file:
Definitive Saxophone Case Compatibility Chart (Original link, unusable since March 2017)
And to update it with your experiences, at now the file only have what I know.

Please share which saxophone (brand and model) fit in each case and I'll keep the file updated. I guess we could make a valuable resource for people looking for a saxophone case.

Here's the updated link:
Definitive Saxophone Case Compatibility Chart

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,785 Posts
Right off the bat you can eliminate most of the saxes in use today since any modern case fits a Selmer-style sax except certain cases made for Keilwerths. So probably what you're really after is fitting vintage horns, particularly those with LH bell keys? IOW, for my MK VI tenor, I can just order any current case. I actually use an SKB with it. The same would be true for a Yanagisawa, Yamaha and any of the Chinese/Taiwan horns. Keilwerths have a larger-radius bottom bow which sets the bell farther from the body, but plenty of cases can even accommodate them. On the other hand, a Selmer-style may be to loose in a KW case.
But aside from all that, I suppose it would be good to be able to look up a fitting chart for the vintage horns.
For my part, I can offer that a The Martin Tenor (CIII or Magna) fits the Pro Tec wood-frame rectangular tenor case but can use some pads here and there to tighten it up.
A The Martin Baritone (CIII or Magna, low Bb or A) fits a Pro Tec wood frame contoured baritone case.
A The Martin Alto (CIII or Magna) fits a Pro Tec wood frame rectangular alto case.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The Propac Contoured Tenor case fits: Buescher 156, Martin Committee III, SML Rev D
The Propac Contoured XL Tenor case fits a Couf Superba
The Hiscox Tenor case fits a Conn 10M

·
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right off the bat you can eliminate most of the saxes in use today since any modern case fits a Selmer-style sax except certain cases made for Keilwerths. So probably what you're really after is fitting vintage horns, particularly those with LH bell keys? IOW, for my MK VI tenor, I can just order any current case. I actually use an SKB with it.
Do any of your Martins tenor saxophones fit the SKB?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Martin committee II fits in both a hiscox and a Protec XL

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I don't know if the Protec regular contour case fits the Martin Comm III. I got an XL for mine years ago because I called customer service at Protec to ask them directly about it and the guy said to get the XL. Lengthwise the fit is quite snug in my XL, so my guess is that if the regular is any shorter, it is not going to fit in that dimension.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Gator GL case for my Conn New Wonder Series II (split bell keys). It fits nicely, except that I need to use an extra long end plug to keep it snug.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I don't know if the Protec regular contour case fits the Martin Comm III. I got an XL for mine years ago because I called customer service at Protec to ask them directly about it and the guy said to get the XL. Lengthwise the fit is quite snug in my XL, so my guess is that if the regular is any shorter, it is not going to fit in that dimension.
A friend uses the regular Protec contoured propac case for his SML RevD tenor and I tried my Martin Comm III with his case, and it fit no problem.

One note about the SML Rev D. He said the neck doesn't fit properly in the slot because of the brace but it still works. It just doesn't fit quite right.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,245 Posts
Well, I hope I understood it alright, so, Selmer Mark VI, Series II and Reference, altos this is, fit perfectly well in all BAM products.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts