Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, after months of waiting, last week my specially made sop D4 Dukoff finally arrived and like a child at Christmas I essentially could not wait to open it and try it out.

However, after wetting my reed when I placed the mouthpiece upon the neck it was obvious to see that the Dukoff's shank was far to large for the cork.
And I do not mean there a just a little bit of play, but if I would turn the horn upside down the piece would literally fall off and to the earth.

I understand after time the cork can slowly deteriorate and you'll need a new one but both my Otto STM as well stock Yamaha fits fine, and actually the link almost fits to snug, I returned the piece Friday but simply would like to hear if anyone else has seen or heard of this before?

~Fabian

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Mpc shank sizes vary greatly, there is no standard although older pieces tend to be smaller. You could have just used some tape around the cork or gotten the neck recorked.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

I have this same issue all the time when swapping mouthpieces. It's seems like there would be a standard shank size but there does not seem to be.

Use Teflon plumber's tape to build up the cork. Surprisingly, I've found that the Teflon rap will often last for a very long time. But after a while, if you find that the Dukoff is going to be your main piece, take your sax to a shop and have them recork the neck. Be sure as take the Dukoff with you so the tech knows what size to make the cork.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
If you try a lot of mouthpieces, you will eventually run into this problem. Wrap paper or Teflon tape around the neck cork to try out the mouthpiece. If you want to play the new mouthpiece all the time, just get your sax neck recorked to fit it. If you want to play several different mouthpieces that have different shank bores, you can get the shank bores modified so they are all a similar size. Bore/sand out the tight ones and/or reduce the size of the loose ones using a thin layer of epoxy. Or just continue to use paper or tape shims.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts