Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you aware of any mpc that is deeper & darker than the Raschers & or Caravans ? I have been looking ... but without any luck. :(

An ancillary question would be ... does larger chambers ala Raschers & Caravans = deeper & darker tones ? :?

Cheers
W.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For Sops and Tenors. Both are large chambers.

The old Conn I tried had a smaller chamber ... and wasn't as deep or dark as the Raschers and Caravans

W.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,889 Posts
wmclean said:
Are you aware of any mpc that is deeper & darker than the Raschers & or Caravans ? I have been looking ... but without any luck. :(

An ancillary question would be ... does larger chambers ala Raschers & Caravans = deeper & darker tones ? :?

Cheers
W.
Yes, the larger the chamber, the darker the sound, at least generally. There are very few that will be darker than a Rascher piece...maybe something like a vintage Buescher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J.Max said:
Yes, the larger the chamber, the darker the sound, at least generally. There are very few that will be darker than a Rascher piece...maybe something like a vintage Buescher.
JMax ... didn't you have some large chamber sop mpcs on eBay a couple months back? If so, I was one of the unlucky bidders.

The reason I am asking the question is to get confirmation that, indeed, there is nothing out there darker than the Raschers and Caravans. If not, then I will have to go the custom route.

W.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Try an old babbit mouthpeice.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
wmclean said:
Can you give me any more details ? Things to look for ?

Thanks
W.

It is a really old mouthpiece that says "Babbit" on it. Is is not a Link or a Meyer, just an old stock mouthpiece. They have a fairly short shank because the chamber is so huge.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,889 Posts
wmclean said:
JMax ... didn't you have some large chamber sop mpcs on eBay a couple months back? If so, I was one of the unlucky bidders.

The reason I am asking the question is to get confirmation that, indeed, there is nothing out there darker than the Raschers and Caravans. If not, then I will have to go the custom route.

W.

I've had a couple of large chambered soprano pieces...some of them were so large they made the soprano sound like an alto...most of them were Bueschers.

I wonder if part of your problem is that you are playing on a tipped bell Mauriat. Those are very bright horns...you should try a Keilwerth or Couf if you can get your hands on one. Buescher sopranos are nice and dark too, but I think they are hard to play on, and tough to keep in tune. (But there are people out there that love them, so YMMV.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Deeper and darker ...

J.Max said:
I wonder if part of your problem is that you are playing on a tipped bell Mauriat.
I will keep my eyes open for some Bueschers (Thanks JMax) and Babbits (thanks Martinman)

The PM tipped bell is for sale as it as been superseded by a R&C curved and a Lyon & Healy (Martin) straight ... both beautifully deep.

I am trying to see how deep and dark I can make a sop go ... :dazed:

Cheers
W.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
A Buesche, Rascher or Caravan are about as dark as you can go, from what I've heard. If you want any darker than that, you'll have to take care of that yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Vintage Bueschers are a good thought.

Also, vintage Conn Eagle mpcs (made in the 20s) the ones w/ an eagle and a silver metal shank ring are the ones to look for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TMadness's message reminded me that I did have a on old Conn soprano sop with a metal band on it (though no eagle) and sure enough it IS a bigger chamber and darker. So I think I am back on track ...

W.
 

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Joined
·
7,889 Posts
Remember, though, there is such a thing as too dark. If you get too dark, it can start sounding tubby and have a lack of focus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
J.Max said:
Remember, though, there is such a thing as too dark. If you get too dark, it can start sounding tubby and have a lack of focus.
Ain't THAT the truth ! ... and the altissimo drops off as well. I will play around with the old Conn and Bueschers until I find something close to what I want and then have it custom made (if I don't go back to the Raschers and Caravans first)

Have a fellow here in Ecuador that made me a custom mpc out of wood that replaced by 2nd choice Runyon Custom (for when I am not in the "dark" mood) for $300. However I need to find something close to what I want first.

W.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top