Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adult returning saxophone player here.
I bough a YAS-26 a few years back for about $600 and I am just getting started back up after years away.
The horn plays pretty well with a few areas that I need to get looked at by a technician.
My goal is to get a few lessons with a teacher in my area and then study mainly at home with a goal toward community band playing sometime...

Now, I have the opportunity to buy a YAS-62 model for around $1000.
My question is should I stick with the 26 I have now or go after the 62?
I have not played the 62 but looks to be in good overall condition.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Adult returning saxophone player here.
I bough a YAS-26 a few years back for about $600 and I am just getting started back up after years away.
The horn plays pretty well with a few areas that I need to get looked at by a technician.
My goal is to get a few lessons with a teacher in my area and then study mainly at home with a goal toward community band playing sometime...

Now, I have the opportunity to buy a YAS-62 model for around $1000.
My question is should I stick with the 26 I have now or go after the 62?
I have not played the 62 but looks to be in good overall condition.

Any advice is appreciated!
Please ignore this reply...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I own a YAS-23 (Vito clone). I don't play alto much, but had it overhauled and added a V1 neck. It plays very well! But not a 62. And I don't play alto as much to justify owning a pro alto sax.

If it were me, and I focused on alto, yes, go for the 62!

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own a YAS-23 (Vito clone). I don't play alto much, but had it overhauled and added a V1 neck. It plays very well! But not a 62. And I don't play alto as much to justify owning a pro alto sax.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
That's a good value for a -62. I'd not hesitate buying it (assuming in good condition), and would put the -26 for sale. You could probably get a bit more than you payed for it.

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YAS-62 sounds really tempting. Would you be able to play it for comparison first?
That's the thing! I most likely will not be able to do a comparison first. I'm not sure what the value of the 62 is. It's the first iteration I guess because it has no Roman numerals after the model number. Even if I had to do a full re-pad, would it be worth it? Thank you!

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good value for a -62. I'd not hesitate buying it (assuming in good condition), and would put the -26 for sale. You could probably get a bit more than you payed for it.
That is a good thought. Although I like the idea of holding on to the 26 for a while so I have a spare. For now at least!
Is one more easily repaired than the other? Or are saxes, saxes?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would go with the 62, but for sure get it checked over! If there is work needed get an estimate and set a budget for purchase + repair = total cost.

Reactions: Johnny Padilla

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would go with the 62, but for sure get it checked over! If there is work needed get an estimate and set a budget for purchase + repair = total cost.
I likely will not be able to get it looked over before purchase. Therefore, I will need to buy it for a price I could sell it for if repairs are too costly for my meager budget. I would think a YAS-62 will always have some value. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
As you probably already know, the 26 is their student model and the 62 is the pro model. So it's going to be higher quality across the board. You're not going to sound any different, but you'll be able to feel the difference and will have a horn that will last you the rest of your life.

$1k is quite low for a 62. They're normally about 70% more expensive than that, which tells me this one might need a lot of work. So be aware of that. If it's already in good shape, then you've got an amazing deal there.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Even if I had to do a full re-pad, would it be worth it? Thank you!
That would put it in a fair price territory. May still be worth it, if no major damages, but it wouldn't be a "great deal" any longer.

·
Registered
YSS-675 | YAS-62ii | YTS-62ii | B901
36 Posts
That's the thing! I most likely will not be able to do a comparison first. I'm not sure what the value of the 62 is. It's the first iteration I guess because it has no Roman numerals after the model number. Even if I had to do a full re-pad, would it be worth it? Thank you!
I don't think they necessarily always have the Roman numerals. My alto and tenor just say "YAS-62" and "YTS-62", but they are in fact mkII. That might just be because I'm in the UK, but I feel like I've seen mention of US ones without the number afterwards. I think the neck might be the easier way to tell - do you know if it's a G1 neck or not? There are plenty of people on the forum who know masses more than me about identifying 62s though, so if there are any photos I'm sure someone would be able to identify it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As you probably already know, the 26 is their student model and the 62 is the pro model. So it's going to be higher quality across the board. You're not going to sound any different, but you'll be able to feel the difference and will have a horn that will last you the rest of your life.

$1k is quite low for a 62. They're normally about 70% more expensive than that, which tells me this one might need a lot of work. So be aware of that. If it's already in good shape, then you've got an amazing deal there.
Second what Lydian said. I feel that the response (how you feel) is the most significant change when upgrading to a pro horn from an intermediate horn (I classify 26 as intermediate bc it is very good quality). The tone wise you will probably sound slightly better, or even same, for the time being (and you may not even be able to notice it during recording). Also 1k for a 62 is almost at the lowest limit of the price range, as they normally listed as 2k or above for the used one. Normally you can only get this kind of good deal from private seller locally, after a few rounds of negotiation.

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Second what Lydian said. I feel that the response (how you feel) is the most significant change when upgrading to a pro horn from an intermediate horn (I classify 26 as intermediate bc it is very good quality). The tone wise you will probably sound slightly better, or even same, for the time being (and you may not even be able to notice it during recording). Also 1k for a 62 is almost at the lowest limit of the price range, as they normally listed as 2k or above for the used one. Normally you can only get this kind of good deal from private seller locally, after a few rounds of negotiation.
It would probably be a long time before I could appreciate the difference in quality as I am basically re-starting my playing.
I don't have any plans to do any recordings in the near future.
I appreciate your response!

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-26 Alto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think they necessarily always have the Roman numerals. My alto and tenor just say "YAS-62" and "YTS-62", but they are in fact mkII. That might just be because I'm in the UK, but I feel like I've seen mention of US ones without the number afterwards. I think the neck might be the easier way to tell - do you know if it's a G1 neck or not? There are plenty of people on the forum who know masses more than me about identifying 62s though, so if there are any photos I'm sure someone would be able to identify it.
I have a photo, not a very good one though. Thank you for the response!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a photo, not a very good one though. Thank you for the response!

View attachment 108348
If it was me...buy the horn! Even if you need some work on it. It could be all you ever need. That was my thinking on a recent Yanagisawa SC-991 purchase..got a good used price and will never need another modern curved soprano (keeping my vintage Conn, though)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would buy it too. It's a great price. Even if it needed some repairs, it would still be a good price. If for some reason that ended up not liking it, you could probably recoup most of the cost if you sold it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts