Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017-18
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Mark VI Bari. It's VERY nice. All original laq about 90%, #112,XXX. It plays incredibly well also. It really speaks and the intonation is awesome. I like it alot. Here is the rub, it is expensive....about $8K! Also, I am not so sure I like it better than my Matte Series II. My II is larger at the bottom and speaks well but not as eloquent as the VI. Also, the VI responds a bit better. Neither are close in sound to my 12M Silver that is being overhauled. Should I buy the VI? It seems that the price is on the high side of fair. If the overall opinion is yes...I will pull the trigger.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
If you play enough bari, and have the bread, and have played the horn, why not? You only go 'round once on this planet in your present skin.

OTOH, $8k seems like it is a high price for a MkVI bari from what I've seen (and I was looking for a bari this time last year)...

But if this is THE ONE, GO FOR IT.

·
Forum Contributor 2017-18
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah..Its a Low A

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
I know someone who paid 10k for a 5 digit low A VI bari about a year ago. If its your cup o tea, then go for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I've played on a Mark VI bari similar to the one you described, the owner paid $10K for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Have you played a Yanagisawa B992? I have TWO friends that have sold Mk VI baris and now play the B992. I compared the horns as well and have to agree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts