Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. After playing flute for a little over 5 years now, and playing the school's piccolo for a couple, I've been looking into buying a good picc of my own finally. I'm thinking of settling with a wooden one because I love the tone and don't play the piccolo outside. I have looked into the Gemeinhardt 4W and Yamaha YPC-62 as possibilities, but I was wondering which one might be a better buy (I'm trying to stay as close to $500-800 as possible although I am aware most wooden picc's go above 1k.) I have played the school's Gemeinhardt 4W for most of the year and have tried out the Yamaha YPC-62, but is there a real difference on either model? Also, is there much difference in whether a piccolo has a bubble headjoint or not?

Any help is appreciated thanks. =)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,292 Posts
I make wood piccolos with the bubble style but actually they plat the same as the sleeve fitment ones. Many like the Yamaha and it has a split E but you will probably find a Gemeinhardt used for less money. Also some of the older Yamahas have looseness around the G key and you need to check the head bubble for cracks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have no experience with the Gemi, but can tell you the YPC62 is fantastic. I've used it in many pro settings, and it always sounds good- in tune, great tone. I think a better picc would probably cost double.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have gone to several shops recently and they all provide the YPC-61 used for around 700 dollars. It's a great piccolo!

I would encourage you to try the sonare composite piccolo. It actually sounds as good as a lot of wood piccolos. It beats the Gem 4W in my book.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Piccolos are unique creatures. You're likely two get a couple of the same brand and find that the play differently than the one you're currently using and they may both play worse!

Most online shops will ship out 3 piccolos on trial. Though none of the major flute shops carry those piccolos in the price range you're looking for unless they quote lower cost over the phone: fluteworld.com, flute4u.com (Nussbaum), flutes4sale.com (FlutecenterNY).

Flutestar has the piccs you're looking for used:
http://flutestar.com/Usedpiccolos.html

Winds101 has a used Hammig picc:
http://www.winds101.com/Piccolos.htm

You may do well to visit a Sam Ash. The prices in person in the shop can shockingly low versus what's out there, especially if used.

I have played Yamaha, Gemeinhardt, and Sonare piccolos and I have found good and bad piccolos of each brand. Watch out for intonation. Have a music minus one CD handy to play along with if you can't tell if the picc plays in tune by yourself (and make sure the MMO CD is American pitch! ;)). You can also have a friend (with good taste <g>) listen to you play them (don't reveal brands) they can help you pick out a winner.

Good Luck,
Stephen (Piko)

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Pearl grenaditte composite picc (PFP-105E) is extremely popular in Europe and has begun making its popularity here in the US. Many of the big orchestra players over there are actually using it as their main Picc. $1500 list, Map price of $995.

It's a little above your price range but it's a great picc. (and pearl's pinless mechanism too!)

The Yamaha 62 is also a great picc. Can't go wrong there either.

Joe B

·
Registered
16 Posts
Both piccolos you are looking for are available used online in the price range you are looking for from flute shops that refurbish used flutes/piccolos, you can google for piccolo repair business.

I've played Yamaha, Gemeinhardt, and Sonare piccs and you can find good and bad in either brand. So try before you buy.

There are major national brick and mortar instrument stores that would probably carry those instruments at the pricing you are looking for as well. I don't think I can name the place as my first post was removed from naming all the major shops to check.

Regards,
Stephen (Piko)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts