Sax on the Web Forum banner

Decent techs in the gulf coast area

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Beginnersmind 
#1 ·
Hi, I am getting back into playing after being away from the saxophone for a couple of years. I used to live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and San Francisco so was never at a loss for an acceptable tech. Now I live in Baldwin county Alabama (close to Mobile) and my online searches aren’t turning up anything. Is there anyone located between New Orleans (Louisiana) and Pensacola (Florida) who could tune up my LA Sax soprano, and a Yanagisawa alto stencil that is on its way to me? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

#3 ·
Ha ha ha! Yeah, there is an amazing top tier flute guy in Fairhope and an acceptable violin guy there too! But I can’t find a saxophone tech. I need to ask at Fairhope music, the owner of that store is a top level saxophone player. I would be amazed if she has her horn/s worked on locally. But that would be so nice.

Also, yay! I was able to figure out how to log into my old account! So I am once again “Beginnersmind”!

#4 ·
Ha ha ha! Yeah, there is an amazing top tier flute guy in Fairhope and an acceptable violin guy there too! But I can't find a saxophone tech. I need to ask at Fairhope music, the owner of that store is a top level saxophone player. I would be amazed if she has her horn/s worked on locally. But that would be so nice.

Also, yay! I was able to figure out how to log into my old account! So I am once again "Beginnersmind"!
Gayle Fredenburgh is in Crestview, deals in used saxes, and may can help with a tech:

http://www.vintagesax.com/

Andy's Music in Mobile advertises music instrument repair, lists two techs.

Somebody has to be servicing the schools' horns. I'd try to contact some band directors for the larger schools and ask.

#8 ·
Really? Opinions of he and his work are mixed at best.

I'd recommend John Frazier who I believe is currently in Arkansas. He's very honest, sincere and has affordable rates. John has a day job and does (or at least did) work out of his home. He overhauled a B&S Blue Label tenor for me a few years ago that turned out fantastic! Here's his contact info:

John Frazier - 318-525-6100
johnfrazierministries@gmail.com

#9 ·
As a point of information, anyone looking for the names of repair techs in a given area can go to the NAPBIRT website and select "tech locator". At that page you can select the state and/or city you are interested in. That will take you to a list of names, businesses, contact information and often websites.

Note: NAPBIRT is an association whose primary purpose is to support and promote the continuing education of its members in the area of instrument repair. Membership is not a certification of a tech's experience or ability in the field of repair. Techs who become members are typically interested in working to improve their skills and in helping those with less experience than themselves.

#12 ·
Of course, schools being on break right now, I can’t ask this question of the local band director for another week, but I checked out NAPBIRT. Anybody have any experience with:
Mike’s repair service in Pensacola
Or
Schmidt’s Music in Pensacola
Or
Mississippi Music in Biloxi?
Thanks! You guys are great!

#13 ·
So I checked out NAPBIRT. Ended up going to Schmidts’s music in Pensacola. They did an acceptable job on a flute, the Yany Stencil, and a Keilwerth ST90 I got for my daughter. They did exactly what I specified, and no more, but I am satisfied. And the drive was only about 45 minutes! Really friendly staff there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.