Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a '36 Conn 10M that desperately needs some tender loving care, and being on an extended visit to the UK, I am not sure what the best options are for me. The sax needs an overhaul and a few bits and pieces sorted out. The troubles are:

* New pads, springs, cork etc (regular overhaul). Also needs a jolly good clean inside and out.
* Neck tenon needs to be made to fit snugly into the body
* Rollers have mostly siezed. Some don't match/aren't original, so it would be nice to have everything uniform--but that's not a priority.
* Minor soldering of keyguard post (bottom C)
* Needs a C#-G# articulator/linkage, so that pressing C# key will open G#. Don't imagine it's a big fix
* The famous locking screws need some attention...
* The biggest issue: play in the keywork. The instrument plays, but the action is noisy and not tight.

The play is the major issue. It's not uniform throughout. The bad cases are the octave key (I guess 3/4 mm), and the RH key stack (there is about 3/4 mm play for the F# key. The rest of the keys have a lot less play. The instrument plays, although it is a bit leaky at the bottom (and zero chance of subtone below F#).

Now the play might be the result of a knock--I can see that there has been soldering work done on the body near the brace. However, any lasting damage is not obvious. My intuition tells me (and it is very possibly wrong) that the play can be taken up by swedging, and in the most severe cases short of body straightening, adjusting the posts. I may be wrong, so please do correct my poor knowledge.

I am based in Cambridge. The nearest repairman informed me that I was looking at a bill of around £600, and that instead of swedging he would insert brass washers to take up the play. I was a little taken aback at that, because I have never seen that done before. So I am doing a bit of shopping around.

Thanks a ton, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi
I use a guy called Rob Casey, in Bedford. He's great, and not expensive. He did a fantastic job on a mark vi for me a while ago, reset the action, straightened a couple of keys, freed up rollers.
I'll send you a PM with his contact details.

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
847 Posts
Andy

Give Mark Godfrey a ring at Topjoint , Norwich - 01603-467800 to discuss your project . H is a qualified, fine repairer , who is also fair!

Blowhard2

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I will check out Rob Casey and Topjoint. I spoke to someone this morning who suggested BG Music in Oakham (if I remember correctly, the owner's surname is Griffiths?). Anybody have any experience?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts