Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try a Rovner Star Series - hands down the best ligature I've found. Very free and lively. I thought the Rovner I was using before was good, and it really is, but its discontinued and the SS beats it hands down anyway. Rovner has a really good selection depending on what you want to do to your set-up. On tenor I'm always looking for ease of playing, reed-friendliness and a free, sizzling sound. On alto, I use the Dark lig because my mouthpiece is a little bright. A different one yet on baritone. Three different situations with different needs. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your set-up.
You can definitely affect your playing and your sound with ligature selection. I used to doubt this myself but no more. The ligature is just another one of your tools for accomplishing an end. You find one that gets your attention and makes you smile, its like finding a really good reed but it always works. :)
That's exactly what I would suggest. I am a kind of a ligature junkie, got around 40 or 50... one of the best is the rovner star from my point of view. not too dark, not too superficial (not adding any "own" sound), very easy to handle. same class as a silverstein or a francois louis but much cheaper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,484 Posts
I got an assortment box of two screw ligs off ebay many years ago and one of them fit nearly every mpc in my collection.

I think I got the whole box for a little over thirty bucks.

I never get tired of watching this one:

Just find a ligature that fits and is easy to use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
to be honest, I do not hear a huge difference when I play on different ligatures. But there are definitely differences in the feeling to play. Has not very much to do with the price of the ligature but the playing ease really differs. And of course the handling

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
I got an assortment box of two screw ligs off ebay many years ago and one of them fit nearly every mpc in my collection.

I think I got the whole box for a little over thirty bucks.

I never get tired of watching this one:

Just find a ligature that fits and is easy to use.
That experiment does nothing to change the fact that a lig can make a difference. In my experience that difference is in two benefits; providing smoother, more even response and acting as either a 'choke' or a 'booster' on your sound depending on what you're trying to accomplish. For example, I use a 'Dark' Rovner on my alto Guardala Studio because it helps take a little edge off. On my tenor Guardala 'King Curtis', I use a Star Series Rovner because its so 'free' and 'reed-friendly', bringing more vibrancy to my sound. Anybody can prove these effects to themselves - you don't have to 'believe' anything - its easy to do. Its just another tool you can use to get what you need out of the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,484 Posts
That experiment does nothing to change the fact that a lig can make a difference. In my experience that difference is in two benefits; providing smoother, more even response and acting as either a 'choke' or a 'booster' on your sound depending on what you're trying to accomplish. For example, I use a 'Dark' Rovner on my alto Guardala Studio because it helps take a little edge off. On my tenor Guardala 'King Curtis', I use a Star Series Rovner because its so 'free' and 'reed-friendly', bringing more vibrancy to my sound. Anybody can prove these effects to themselves - you don't have to 'believe' anything - its easy to do. Its just another tool you can use to get what you need out of the horn.
super

·
2,360 Posts
to be honest, I do not hear a huge difference when I play on different ligatures. But there are definitely differences in the feeling to play.
I agree with this very much. I like the ligatures I like because of my own perceived response to how my instrument plays, and I'm pretty sure that just has to do with getting a proper seal on the reed without muffling vibration too much. In college I spent a bunch of money on a bunch of different ligatures: BG, Francois Louis, Vandoren, Rovner, Bonade, etc. But these days, after trying tons of expensive stuff, my favorites are the simple old Bonade and Vandoren Masters ligs. The Masters aren't made any more, sadly, and I don't like the one-screw MO version as much, it doesn't seem to position as easily or consistently as the old two-screw design.

Bonades will probably never disappear, though, and that's just fine with me. The standard and inverted designs both work great and they're very affordable. No sweat.

·
3,297 Posts
I just go digging through the box of used ligatures whenever I'm at my tech's. There are usually a few Selmer 2-screw ligatures there in various sizes and for some reason I really like those more than almost anything else I've tried. The threads on the screws just seem to be cut a little better and the ligatures feel good to tighten and seem to hold the reed securely when moving the mouthpiece around for tuning. I'm not sure why, but they also seem to dig into the bark of the reed less than other two-screw ligatures and don't dig into the top of the mouthpiece like the inverted Bonade or Rico H do for me.

I just pull them out of the box and the guys there tell me how much they want for all of them, usually around $5-$10 each, depending on how beat up the ligature is. Even the pretty bent ones aren't hard to form to a mouthpiece. I just put them on the mouthpiece and tap the raised areas gently with something made of light plastic. I used to use a bic lighter, but now that I don't have those around anymore, I use a Vandoren reed sleeve. Doesn't work quite as well, but it gets the job done.

At first I suspected they were raising the prices on these for me because I wanted them (not by much, just a few bucks), but after seeing what some people are asking for them online, maybe they are hooking me up for being a longtime customer!

Or maybe they are really only worth $5-$10 and if they cost more than that, I'll find something else.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
2-screw metal lig is the best by a long shot for me. It allows maximum reed vibration and you can buy a handful for peanuts. I bought a Rico H for soprano and I do not like it at all. If you want the cool factor then buy a Selmer 2-screw. You can spend more money if that makes you feel better about it. Rovner Lights aren't bad.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a decent ligature under $30 (it's a lot to ask, I know). The mouthpieces I currently use are a Vandoren Optimum AL5, and a Vandoren V16 6S+. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but the reeds I use are Vandoren V12 on 3, and Fibracell 3 1/2.
I play a 1948 NY Meyer on tenor and had to purchase a baritone ligature to fit it. I picked up a two screw Yamaha lig for $12.99 and it works great! https://www.lorioutlet.com/products...ac-1617-baritone-1617-lacquer-yac-gold-yamaha

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Rovner light would be my recommendation, I like those a lot. Using them on alto and tenor as they match up well with my most recent mpc acquisitions. I have a few for each horn, a couple did stretch out over time and don’t hold the reed as well currently but these are well over 15 years old so that’s a pretty good lifespan. I’ve got an old one for alto that’s really resonant, it’s prob the best lig I have.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts