Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I have a Grado SR-60 and a Sony MDR-7502 which are both very nice — not sound studio quality but still very comfortable and acoustically fine. The Grado was less than $80 and the Sony was less than $60. Neither would be considered "junk".
edit: checked out the Portapros — great price and, yup, the reviews are pretty positive. With luck someone who owns a pair will chime in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use the portapros, and I like them a bunch. Be careful about avoiding the Sporta-pros, they're a different headphone. I have a lot of problems wearing headphones for long periods of time, and have no trouble with the portapros even if I wear them for hours and hours. The temple support pads are adjustable, and pretty nifty. The cable is a little bit short. I wouldn't necessarily call them studio quality, but they're a fine buy for the money. Lifetime warranty against even idiot-damage. You might not be getting studio phones, but you're certainly not getting junk.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I use the sony earbuds with active noise cancelling....not bad for 90-110 dollars and the active noice cancelling does a great job of keeping outside sound down.

·
Registered
860 Posts
+1 for the PortaPro - I wrecked mine and still mourn it, I bought an AKG K27i instead that comes close in sound quality (it's the predecessor of the K4** series - I think the K430 comes close), but it was more expensive and is less comfortable to wear (I didn't notice that when buying - it only shows after half an hour or so). But I notice the Grado gets some glowing reviews - very intriguing at the price asked...

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
+1 for Grado-sr60 (unless you want closed headphones).
I don't know what is meant by studio quality, maybe a lot of details but is it nice to listen to. ?
The Grado's have something else. A very warm and gentle sound without sacrificing the highs. Very good for long time listening. Good for jazz.
http://www.gradolabs.com/
And they have that ambient feeling like being there on the stage with the musicians.
Be aware that they, as all headphones, need breaking in. They sound more harsh at first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
+1 for Grado-sr60 (unless you want closed headphones).
I don't know what is meant by studio quality, maybe a lot of details but is it nice to listen to. ?
The Grado's have something else. A very warm and gentle sound without sacrificing the highs. Very good for long time listening. Good for jazz.
http://www.gradolabs.com/
And they have that ambient feeling like being there on the stage with the musicians.
Be aware that they, as all headphones, need breaking in. They sound more harsh at first.
Grados are great; best dollar you'll spend on a pair of cans. I'd go with the SR-80 over the SR-60 though. $20 more gets you a fuller-sounding bottom end.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Grados are great; best dollar you'll spend on a pair of cans. I'd go with the SR-80 over the SR-60 though. $20 more gets you a fuller-sounding bottom end.
Can't disagree here. However, the low end is like candy. Never enough until it's too much:)

You do, however, have to get used to their 'honesty'. If the mids are distorted, they'll play back distorted mids. You get an 'honest' reproduction, with little 'hype'.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Can't disagree here. However, the low end is like candy. Never enough until it's too much:)

You do, however, have to get used to their 'honesty'. If the mids are distorted, they'll play back distorted mids. You get an 'honest' reproduction, with little 'hype'.
Spot on.

I've got a pair of the SR-80's...so worth it.

- J

·
Registered
365 Posts
When I worked at RadioShack I picked up a set of RadioShack brand fullsize headphones (33-1225 is the sku). I will put them up against any set of headphones on the market. Beautiful, accurate sound reproduction with amazingly comfortable leather cup pads that fit my massive head. Great for everything from studio work to watching movies at night when everyone is in bed. If you can find a set they usually run between $10-$20.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts