Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've borrowed an old tenor sax - a Dearman. Does anyone have any info on what this is? Is it any good?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dearman sax

Dearman as far as I know originated in the U.K. and was manufactured up until the 1950's.
I have a "New Super Dearman" silver plated alto which is much better quality than most new intermediate types on the market. The tenor could be worth trying.
Regards
Alistair

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know its an old thread, but i have a super dearman Bari and i'm 99% certain its a conn copy. What are the chances that it is actually a conn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Dearman saxes used to be quite common in UK way back. Dearman was a 'house brand' for one of the big music companies/importers of the day.Some were very good acoustically, based on Conn with RTH's. These probably were made by Dorfler&Jorka in Germany or C/Slovakia. Others later i have heard were made in Italy minus RTH's and not so good. Keywork was usually a mish-mash of Conn,Buescher,with a few Teutonic touches.
Regards BF

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
I have an old Dearman mouthpiece that seems to hae been perhaps a partial design influence for Geoff Lawton with a sliding lig and cap. Very nice to look at, no idea how it plays.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,363 Posts
Dearman were probably made everywhere where they happen to be sourced at any given time, that includes Germany (west and east) Bohemia and in all likelihood , Italy by Rampone (probabaly Agostino if not Rampone & Cazzani) read THIS

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,385 Posts
Dearman were probably made everywhere where they happen to be sourced at any given time, that includes Germany (west and east) Bohemia and in all likelihood , Italy by Rampone (probabaly Agostino if not Rampone & Cazzani)[/URL]
... and the Master Model in France, most likely by Pierret.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts