Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's exactly what I used to do.. then I started composing very heavily and that helped. Now I just don't care and shed because I love it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,773 Posts
Whenever I listen to Elvin Jones's "Live at the Lighthouse" album, I just want to play and play and play. Ellery Eskelin has this effect on me also.

I think it's because Grossman, Liebman and Eskelin all play just like I wish I could, each in his own way.

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
Cranky Bear said:
To all the people here who experience jealousy/envy for other's playing, how do you deal with it?
That's an interesting question.
Like everyone else, I'm not perfect but I've never really had issues with jealousy or envy of others. This said, i still would like to share my thoughts on this.

I think that it is a matter of knowing what you want, knowing where you stand, knowing how to set realistic goals, trust in your abilities and stop comparing yourself with others.

I may be wrong because after all, everything is a matter of perception, but just to be sure, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to investigate the above rather to kill yourself trying to be a musician different than the one that you are, with his own unique personality.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,402 Posts
Cranky Bear said:
To all the people here who experience jealousy/envy for other's playing, how do you deal with it? I usually end up shedding nonstop for hours each day with fierce determination. Im just curious how others deal with it.
The ones that bug me are the guys working that are not all that great and I can outplay them. I sulk and pout, then continue woodshedding as before. The good players inspire me to continue. It all comes out in the wash.

·
2,487 Posts
shedshedshedshedshedshed,
substitute jealousy for a bit of GAS,
shed some more and go to bed feeling good about myself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I don't mind hearing a pro or 20 year old tearing it up. Yeah I'm envious - but at this point in my life (mid-life) there just isn't a couple hours every day to shred. So I try to enjoy the ride.

It's when some 11 year old blows some nice stuff. Now that start the negative emotions. :evil: All I can say is that I play better now then when I was twenty or even last year. By the time I'm near death, something cool will finally come out of my horn.:cry:

·
3,494 Posts
No matter how good you are, there will always be somebody better.

Enjoy listening to them, as long as they don't rub it in.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I think this is quite an interesting question really and already i can see the responses so far falling into two, maybe three categories of advice:

1. Shed more so there's fewer people who are better than you and therefore fewer to envy.
2. Do your own thing so there's nothing to envy.
(maybe?) 3. Envy is irrelevant and has no place in music so just "rise above it" or something.

I rule out 3. on the grounds that music is a human activity and as such is subject to the usual array of positive and negative responses. If you're the Delai Lama it might work ok ;) .

My own feeling is that a bit of 1. is unavoidable to the extent that you play in a certain tradition and that 2. tends to soften 1.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I believe that if you listen to someone better without jelousy , it makes you get better by osmosis. its like a lesson. there is enough for everyone

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
RootyToot makes a valid point in saying that envy isn't the same as jaleousy. Yet, I find that to breaks things down into two categories, is only a half-truth to me (no offence I hope.) because :

1) I don't think that everyone who sheds some more as a result of jaleousy necessarily do it so there's fewer people who are better than they are /therefore fewer twho envy them -- Saying so doesn't take under consideration those who shed some more out of guilt, and espescially doesn't take in consideration those who will shed more because hearing someone better than they are, actually, genuinely inspired them to.

2) "Do your own thing so there's nothing to envy" kind of suggests that that all of those who are doing their own thing, don't care to improve, don't get inspired of others, aren't passionate enough. It is not necessarilly the case.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,799 Posts
kcp said:
2) "Do your own thing so there's nothing to envy"
I think when your feeling jealousy it's because you don't have your own unique style. Your trying to copy somebody or something and someone else can do it better than you. I feel like when I came into my own thing and style I didn't get jealous anymore. I wanted to learn and am inspired by other players but there is no jealousy. I do my thing, they do their thing. My thing is my thing and I like it. Any improvements I can make and still keep it my thing is where I'm at now a days.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
kcp said:
RootyToot makes a valid point in saying that envy isn't the same as jaleousy. Yet, I find that to breaks things down into two categories, is only a half-truth to me (no offence I hope.)
No offence, of course, kcp :) , but i do think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, which is probably my fault for not being clear enough.

I was dealing with envy as I think it occurs and as people experience it and explain it. So I categorised the responses before me as a way of getting to my own response to the topic.

I don't of course think that envy is the only motivating factor involved in shedding but envy is the subject of the thread so that's what I focused on. I certainly didn;t suggest that people "do their own thing" because they lack passion or because they don't care to improve.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
When I hear someone better than me, it makes me practice more and more and on the things they are good at.

...and occasionally make a voodoo doll.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Honestly, I have a deep and profound respect for the sacrifices it takes to truly maste an instrument. I acknowledge that, (regardless of their ego) and try to take something with me to musically remember them by. Anyone of us could have a talent, possession, family member, or our own lives snatched out from under us at any given moment. Being grateful for what I have today is my way of appreciating that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There's always somebody better. How can I be jealous? Do I play as well as [insert your hero's name here]?

·
2,319 Posts
I find I have progressed and continue to progress at my own speed. So, when I encounter a better player, which is not too hard to do, I admire them and usually it will encourage me to work even more. I do have my own sound and can play appropriately in many playing situations. The bass player asked me a few days ago if I'd be threatened if some other horn players were to sit in on a party we're doing in December. I replied, "Not as long as I'm getting paid." :) He then added he's heard faster players than me but none of them have a better sound quality or put as much feeling into their playing or play according to the genre as well.
So, my weaker areas, for me, is speed and knowing more of a be-bop style of playing. I work on those areas when I practice.I really don't put myself into situations where be-bob playing is required so I don't expose my weaknesses publicly! I have to be content where I am at the moment so jealousy isn't a factor (unless the other player is 11 years old) as another poster mentioned.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
BlueTone said:
I usually just punch them in the mouth and steal their horn.

One less person to compete with. :)
Or, you could just mix up a batch of quikcrete and pour it into his horn when he takes a break.

NOT!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts