Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to deal with an extremely sharp D2 and E2? I loosen up as much as possible to flatten them, but, on certain saxes, I can't drop them enough to bring them into tune. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
These notes tend to be sharp on many saxophones, if not impossible. Try lowering the C key, then the d key. This may help, but will affect the lower octave. Maybe you can find a happy middle ground. Good luck! I've found some cheap horns, and vintage horns, where this problem couldn't be fixed! (I am not a horn tech).

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
These notes tend to be sharp on many saxophones, if not impossible. Try lowering the C key. This may help, but will affect the lower octave. Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I agree tha tlowering the C can help. I generally close down the C pad until the lowest D1 is just starting to go flat and leave it there. Being the E is high, you may want to lower the D also. Maybe all of the stack keys above D are too closed! If they are opened up it may balance out the whole horn. Have a tech give his/her opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts