Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw David Sanborn Friday night. Like the new sax/organ trio format, it suits the material on his recent CDs. Joey D nearly stole the show a copule of times, like in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25aD-I2armo

This video is from a show last year, but is pretty representative of what I saw. My kind of groove!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just noticed something... Look how far down on the mouthpiece Sanborn has his ligature. It's basically as far down as it can go before it is below the end of the table of the mouthpiece. I had never noticed that before.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Saw David Sanborn Friday night. Like the new sax/organ trio format, it suits the material on his recent CDs. Joey D nearly stole the show a copule of times, like in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25aD-I2armo

This video is from a show last year, but is pretty representative of what I saw. My kind of groove!
Interesting.

I saw David Sanborn in Seattle WITHOUT Joey D and it was fantastic.

Then I saw him again in Oakland WITH joey D, and it sh**t. honestly, Joey D was just too much hammond. But, it wasn't just that, Joey D seemed to think it was his show, and David Sanborn was obviously p*ssed, and rightly so. The show WITH Joey D wasn't half as good as the show without Joey D. Same material. Sad.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Ha! I loves me some Sanborn, but I'd rather hear Joey D anytime.

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just noticed something... Look how far down on the mouthpiece Sanborn has his ligature. It's basically as far down as it can go before it is below the end of the table of the mouthpiece. I had never noticed that before.
I've seen that in a lot of pictures of Dexter Gordon. The lig looks like it's barely holding the reed on the mouthpice. I've played around with that a bit and found that a softer reed will play a bit better if I move the ligature down like that, and a harder reed will be easier to play if I put the lig closer to the tip. I'm just talking about variations in reeds labeled with the same strength, not 2.5 vs. 4.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,484 Posts
The videos of this trio makes David Sanborn just look and sound worn out. I am a huge fan but it just seems maybe his health and stamina are not in a good place right now. Is there something going on with him?

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
He is sixty sumpin' years old . . . suffers from that polio syndrome that kicks people who had polio when they were young in the arse when you get old.
I didnt think he sounded "worn out" ... thats called being "soulful" ... oh no, not that thread again!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I thought he sounded worn out as well. His playing isn't as clean as it used to be and I don't get the sense that he was really getting into the music. He didn't look like he was having fun and it showed in his playing. Joey on the other hand seemed to be having a ball. I wouldn't expect Sanborn to be playing at his prime at age 60+ so it is no surprise...not like it affects his ability to sell out shows.

·
2,077 Posts
I've been seeing him for years, perhaps its that he seems to be trying to play straight-aheadish style of jazz now (not his forte in my opinion) that is not scratching your itch the way you'd like (and me too perhaps). But watching him now certainly doesnt make me think of how they wheel out Sonny Rollins or Phil Woods nowadays ...

·
3,536 Posts
David Sanborn is not worn out. I think he's stylistically moved in a straight direction, and his setup makes that difficult for him. He sounds great, but like most people, he does not sound the way he did in 1984.

He eats a crazy health diet, real hardcore, works out a lot, and I think he looks amazing for a guy his age, who maintains a touring schedule like his, and who formerly suffered from polio. Gotta love Sanborn. He is a true sax icon and deserves all the recognition he gets.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Dave Sanborn is 3 months younger than I am. I saw him here with Joey D. And they were playing a lot of Ray Charles from the tribute album. They were great, but I empathized with Dave, feeling the effort of standing through the gig, polio or not withstanding.

Joey was more animated and having a blast and it showed. I don't think he detracted from Sanborn at all. Matter of fact it looked like he actually pulled Sanborn back from where-ever his mind was wandering a couple of times (probably wishing he had a stool at times).

They made sure the houselights were down as these guys entered or left the stage. Watching either one move about is, to my mind, a little distracting and the audience needn't dwell on their physical attributes rather than on their outstanding performances.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Dave still sounds pretty amazing. In some ways I think he sounds better there than on some other things I have heard him do.

·
1,243 Posts
I've seen that in a lot of pictures of Dexter Gordon. The lig looks like it's barely holding the reed on the mouthpice. I've played around with that a bit and found that a softer reed will play a bit better if I move the ligature down like that, and a harder reed will be easier to play if I put the lig closer to the tip. I'm just talking about variations in reeds labeled with the same strength, not 2.5 vs. 4.
Is sounds like the table on your mpc is bowed some, not 100% flat.

·
3,875 Posts
Ha! I loves me some Sanborn, but I'd rather hear Joey D anytime.
Same here. I really dig Joey and am not a big fan of Sanborn. Nothing against him, he just doesn't speak to me.

I remember when I went to see Wayne Shorter in concert. I enjoyed John Patitucci and Danilo Perez more than I did Shorter.

·
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't want to bring it up, but Dave did seem to be a bit tired. He played slightly over an hour, and Joey had a lot of solo space. It almost seemed like he was helping Dave get through the set.

That said Dave is still a great player, and as LateNiteSax said, a true sax icon. I'd highly recommend seeing him if you get the chance, he's a unique player who influenced the sound of alto players for years to come, and was one of the founding fathers of smooth jazz before it became the bland elevator music that it is today. Guys like that don't come along very often.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
+1
he's a unique player who influenced the sound of alto players for years to come, and was one of the founding fathers of smooth jazz before it became the bland elevator music that it is today. Guys like that don't come along very often
Very well said. I think he was pretty influential on some tenor players as well. Not sure when Sanborn started playing Dukoff, but wasn't that around the time all the tenor players (even Brecker) started using them. Wouldn't call him my most favorite, but I enjoy his music quite a bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
I think many players try to pay homage to their roots as they get past 65 or so, and Sanborn is a good example of this. He has credited Hank Crawford as his major influence many times and the two held each other on mutual respect. I think the passing of Crawford and Ray Charles made the RC tribute album a "get it done" priority and his sound now is more like it was when those guys were his idols and mentors.

A similar thing can be heard on Phil Woods Quincy Jones tribute. Listen to his recent version of "the Midnight Sun Will Never Set" and then watch the same piece on the Jazz Icons Quincy Jones DVD recorded almost 50 years ago... That old man has NOT lost the magic.

Maybe we all start to feel the urgency to finish business when we near the blinding speed at the finish line. It's called "over the hill because the downhill section goes so much faster. Git'r done!

·
1,210 Posts
I like the vibe, but has anyone else noticed how weird this music is in such a setting?
I have seen concerts like this before and on such a stage, with a large audience sitting in their chairs - the music can't really reach its potential.
If I were Sanborn, playing blues music with a group as credible as this, I would strive to play in venues that really fit the style.
I know - the number of seats, the money etc...
But what do you think?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts