Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard this show that's touring now? I have tickets next week but am looking for an advance report. Dave's posted some clips of soundcheck on Facebook but they're just teasers and the sound is bad. Anybody have anything to share?

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
415 Posts
I'm going to see them in New Orleans on the 23. I'm super excited. I've always wanted to see Sanborn, but to see him with those two is extra icing on the cake!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Hey, what's that slimline black mouthpiece Dave is playing lately? I personally like it that he has maintained his bright, projecting sound all these years through a number of mouthpiece changes. The video of him and Phil Woods is a pretty stark comparison of the two styles and how each offers its own flavor to the duet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw them last night at Molloy College on Long Island. Overall it was a great show. Bob James was typically Bob James . . . great voicings, tasteful solos, but not overbearing or over the top. Sanborn can still play, but not like he used to. He clearly is struggling with his physical limitations (I read an interview from a few years ago where he acknowledged that he suffers from post-polio syndrome). His playing still has the same gutsy soul. It appeared to me that his physical stamina is limited, but he still screams like a demon. Marcus Miller was terrific. Drummer Billy Kilson was outstanding, and vocalist Larry Braggs stole the show when he joined in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, what's that slimline black mouthpiece Dave is playing lately? I personally like it that he has maintained his bright, projecting sound all these years through a number of mouthpiece changes. The video of him and Phil Woods is a pretty stark comparison of the two styles and how each offers its own flavor to the duet.
He wasn't playing a black mouthpiece last night (8/20/19); I obviously couldn't tell the brand from the audience, but it was silver, possibly the Drake he has reportedly been playing.

I did notice, however, that he didn't appear to be playing a vintage Mark VI . . . it was too shiny.

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
415 Posts
Saw the group last night in New Orleans. Wow, what a show! Marcus Miller is as bad as he ever was. Billy Kilson was great on drums and so fun to watch. Larry Braggs sang his butt off and stole the show the few times he was out there. Bob James was Bob James. Sanborn was Sanborn at times. Not the same as he once was , but the sound and the licks are still there. He struggled some in the upper register and altissimo. He changed reeds at least three times during the show. He is one of my all-time favorites, so I still loved the experience, but it was humbling seeing a “sax god” seem more mortal. They told a few stories which was cool. They even played Mr. magic. The whole show (2 full hours) was filled with great music.
Was it vintage 1970s Sanborn? No. Would I pay to go again? Absolutely!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts