Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently listening to one of my old but favorite albums "Laid Back" by Greg Allman. I hadn't heard it or any songs in over 20 years. Hearing the sax solos, I looked at the album cover and saw it was the late David "Fathead" Newman. I had heard of him, of course, but to learn more I went on to Google him and then added him to my Pandora internet radio station. From what I've read he was also a pretty solid guy. I really like his style and his music. What I can't find is what brand of sax he played (he was also a very accomplished flautist) and his setup. Anyone know? Wilbur

·
Registered
284 Posts
I believe he was Ray Charles' Saxophonist for a while. He is even a characterized in the movie 'Ray'. I've got a Lee Morgan album 'Sonic Boom' with him as I sideman. Great, solid player indeed! I think he's on the 'Kansas City' soundtrack.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
pretty sure he used a rubber Link on tenor at least in the last years . I read That in a Downbeat article I believe . Sadly he died a few years back . Great great blues player

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Check him out on YouTube he played the gold standard, Selmer Mark VI.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,787 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,787 Posts
Per Oliver Garai of Hollywood, Florida;

David “Fathead” Newman: tenor: 1950-1955: Otto Link Tonemaster 7. 1955-1958: Meyer Brothers 5 and white Spoiler Runyon 7. 1958-1962: metal 1950s Duck Bill Berg Larsen 90/3. 1962-1965: Otto Link Super Tone Master 50’s NY 6*. 1965-1971: metal Berg Larsen Scoop Bill 100/3. 1971-1983: Hard Rubber Otto Link Pompano slant signature Tone Edge 5 refaced to a 6*. 1983-current: hard rubber Late Florida Otto Link slant signature Tone Edge 6*. Saxophone: Selmer MK VI. Reed: hard Vandorens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts