Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Re: David Lieban takes in so much mouthpiece

Why so much do you think?
It works for him to get the sound that he desires.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Excuse me for a minute, I gotta got light my piano on fire.

·
32,937 Posts

I like that Gadi Lehavi, the "kid", seems a very active listener while playing and comping.

That's excellent music.

Thanks.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,895 Posts

Hi, I have been watching the amazing David liebman on youtube, and noticed he takes in a lot of mouthpiece
I find taking a whole lot of mouthpiece can work very well on soprano. I do as well, (but I'm not such a good soprano player)

·
32,937 Posts

Recall also that Liebman plays a very open (.100") setup with, likely, a commensurately long lay.

I'm going to listen to that clip again, that's some of most enjoyable stuff that I've heard in a while.

Very tasty. Thanks for sharing, Be'.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried taking in a lot of Mp,it gives me quite a different sound, sort of very vocal and loud,it is not easy to tongue though, as the tip of the tongue is in the wrong place (too far up the reed) It does show though that you dont just stick the MP in your chops, in one position, and keep it there?

·
28,895 Posts
I have tried taking in a lot of Mp,it gives me quite a different sound, sort of very vocal and loud,it is not easy to tongue though,
that is one of the main downsides, however it isn't usually such a big problem on soprano as it is on tenor or baritone. The other thing is that I find it's easier to get more change of tone and expression using your vocal cavity with soprano, so it's less important to do that with your jaw, another reason to take in relatively more mouthpiece with soprano.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
If one read's Leib's book Developing a Personal Sax Sound, which is basically an extensions of Allard's principles, one will understand the reasons. I follow Allard/Leib's methodology and find when I play the higher notes on my sop my lower lip is way up the reed. By the time I am onto the palm keys my lower lip is up near the top of the heart of the reed to get the timbral matching I want. Top lip stays pretty much the same. His methodology calls for a very active lower lip just sealing the mpce and damping the reed as necessary to balance tone. As little upward pressure on the reed as possible.

·
28,895 Posts
If one read's Leib's book Developing a Personal Sax Sound, which is basically an extensions of Allard's principles, one will understand the reasons. I follow Allard/Leib's methodology and find when I play the higher notes on my sop my lower lip is way up the reed. By the time I am onto the palm keys my lower lip is up near the top of the heart of the reed to get the timbral matching I want. Top lip stays pretty much the same. His methodology calls for a very active lower lip just sealing the mpce and damping the reed as necessary to balance tone. As little upward pressure on the reed as possible.
That's very much how I approach the soprano, I must look out for that book.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
.... His methodology calls for a very active lower lip just sealing the mpce and damping the reed as necessary to balance tone. As little upward pressure on the reed as possible.
I've never really gotten into that whole "rolling lip" concept. I prefer keeping a stable embouchure in all registers and use my larynx, oral cavity and tongue position to homogenize the tone. I will however sometimes play a bit closer to the tip if I want to start a phrase softly in the low register.

·
28,895 Posts
I've never really gotten into that whole "rolling lip" concept. I prefer keeping a stable embouchure in all registers and use my larynx, oral cavity and tongue position to homogenize the tone. I will however sometimes play a bit closer to the tip if I want to start a phrase softly in the low register.
That is absolutely normal and fine, many great players keep a steady embouchure, just as many move it around a lot. Some of that is to do with whether you choose to have a certain sound that is your specialty, or whether you choose to use many different tone colours. I believe both approaches are equally valid.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Yes, that's ptf tape on the cork: that's my horn, and his mpc was simply too large for the cork I had there.

·
32,937 Posts
Hah! I was wondering what he was doing with a Mk VI!

Superb sound. Thanks for sharing with us - and him.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Pete HIs book is available from Caris Music in the USA.

Caris Music Services Order
& Information Page

For orders, please fill out the form below and send payment to the address on the bottom of the page. By the time your payment clears, we will have the order ready to go.
Please call for Mastercard or Visa Orders
Toll-Free, Secure Order Line: 1 877-267-9797

My teacher plays the other way and the fact that my mpce is jammed on all the way and an occasional correction if I am sharp by lowering the pitch by through larynx rather than fingering irritates him. I'm not great at it yet but can drop a fourth on the upper stack and above only a semitone on the long notes tho :-(.

I look forward to the day when I can play phrases with second harmonics:twisted:. It will drive him round the bend

If weren't somewhat older than him I think he'd probably whack me with something LOL

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have tried taking in a lot of Mp,it gives me quite a different sound, sort of very vocal and loud,it is not easy to tongue though, as the tip of the tongue is in the wrong place (too far up the reed) It does show though that you dont just stick the MP in your chops, in one position, and keep it there?
I agree, I find that taking in more mouthpiece creates a more vocal, almost overblown sound. Good if you're looking for a very passionate atmosphere for your playing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts