Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
I need him to make a YouTube called "WHY is Smooth Jazz?"


By the way, I have a firm handle on the music of the future: Smooth Blues.

Slogan: "I feel bad . . . but not THAT bad!":twisted:
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
LOL, why on earth did he make that? IMO he didn't help the "cause" one bit. Matter of fact, he seemed to sum it up early on when he said that he and his smooth jazz colleagues had "nice homes with swimming pools". Oy! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
He sounds like a "talented" photographer who does pin-ups and excuses it by saying, "A lot of people like my sleazy work, and, hey, it pays the bills."

Go play your vapid muzak, rake in those dollars, and skip the apologies.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,313 Posts
It takes more than 8 minutes of whimpering rationalization to change my mind and make me believe something bland is interesting.

If it was all that good, it wouldn't need to be evangelized that way.

Much is revealed by Benoit in these two quotes:

"A lot of smooth jazz is visual"
"...it's about showmanship and perfomance"

It has to be visual because, to paraphrase, how many different ways can you play Gmin7 to A7#5 and keep it musically interesting? None, so you need the smoke and mirrors. And the elevator.

I have a nice home with a swimming pool, too. So do many of my musician friends who also reject smooth jazz.

Benoit is a fine pianist and musician who has chosen to follow the money, succeeded with that path, and now apologizes for it as he tells us he doesn't need to apologize. It's pathetic.
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
Al Stevens said:
Benoit is a fine pianist and musician who has chosen to follow the money, succeeded with that path, and now apologizes for it as he tells us he doesn't need to apologize. It's pathetic.
Right. I could dig it if he just looked straight at you and said, "Hey. I sold out. So what!"
"Wanna come over Saturday night?"

(I think I'd just say - "Yeah!")
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
gary said:
Right. I could dig it if he just looked straight at you and said, "Hey. I sold out. So what!". . .
I agree. I think if somebody wants to make a living playing smooth jazz, that's their biz. But only a pompous *** would take 7:58 to say (my translation): "I like the money; I don't apologize; I'd like it if radio worked more the way I want it to." If Mr. Benoit was trying to reach a predominantly non-smooth jazz audience, he certainly fell flat on his face. But of course, I doubt he was trying to reach a non-smooth jazz audience; there's no money in it for him.

My beef is not with smooth jazz artists in general, and I suppose even Mr. Benoit may have a better side somewhere. But this video went down like last week's lettuce.


ps JazzItUp: I think you're spitting into the wind.


"Gerald Albright, come back! . . . Come back!
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
After smooth blues: smooth opera!

Slogan: "I'm larger than life . . . but not THAT large!"

No! I said OPERA, not. . . .
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
Joined
·
11,501 Posts
So, in some of your humble opinions, I guess you could say Benoit is "apolojazzing". Not to be confused with Apollojazzing, which I'm reserving for real jazz being played at the Apollo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LampLight said:
I agree. I think if somebody wants to make a living playing smooth jazz, that's their biz. But only a pompous *** would take 7:58 to say (my translation): "I like the money; I don't apologize; I'd like it if radio worked more the way I want it to." If Mr. Benoit was trying to reach a predominantly non-smooth jazz audience, he certainly fell flat on his face. But of course, I doubt he was trying to reach a non-smooth jazz audience; there's no money in it for him.

My beef is not with smooth jazz artists in general, and I suppose even Mr. Benoit may have a better side somewhere. But this video went down like last week's lettuce.


ps JazzItUp: I think you're spitting into the wind.


"Gerald Albright, come back! . . . Come back!
I'm not trying to make you like Smooth Jazz if that's what you were thinking. I just think this is a good subject for discussion right Gary? :)D)

Hey look, I like Gerald Albright, I listen to Dave Koz, and I don't have to explain to you why I do like Smooth Jazz. I'm into R&B (it also doesn't hurt that girls love romantic music!).

But don't think that's all I listen to. I personally like almost every style of music as well, Big Band, Funk, Blues, Straight Ahead,anything that can make my head bop i'm cool with it. ;)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
JazzItUp said:
I'm not trying to make you like Smooth Jazz if that's what you were thinking. I just think this is a good subject for discussion right Gary? :)D)

Hey look, I like Gerald Albright, I listen to Dave Koz, and I don't have to explain to you why I do like Smooth Jazz. I'm into R&B (it also doesn't hurt that girls love romantic music!).

But don't think that's all I listen to. I personally like almost every style of music as well, Big Band, Funk, Blues, Straight Ahead,anything that can make my head bop i'm cool with it. ;)
I did think you were trying to make me like smooth jazz, because of the part of your original post where you said
JazzItUp said:
. . . if you don't like Smooth Jazz, you might change your mind. Who knows?. . .
But you know what? As soon as I posted my comments, it occurred to me that you took a chance making that post, which is something that the best jazz musicians do. I also wasn't trying to say that you're wrong just because I disagree, only that I think you're swimming against the tide on this one.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
JazzItUp said:
I'm not trying to make you like Smooth Jazz if that's what you were thinking. I just think this is a good subject for discussion right Gary? :)D)

Hey look, I like Gerald Albright, I listen to Dave Koz, and I don't have to explain to you why I do like Smooth Jazz. I'm into R&B (it also doesn't hurt that girls love romantic music!).

But don't think that's all I listen to. I personally like almost every style of music as well, Big Band, Funk, Blues, Straight Ahead,anything that can make my head bop i'm cool with it. ;)
That's cool. You like what you like. I like country western (old style, at least) and western swing, in addition to just about everything you have in your list. And everything you listen to, you learn from. Just ignore us: we're on a roll.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LampLight said:
I did think you were trying to make me like smooth jazz, because of the part of your original post where you said

But you know what? As soon as I posted my comments, it occurred to me that you took a chance making that post, which is something that the best jazz musicians do. I also wasn't trying to say that you're wrong just because I disagree, only that I think you're swimming against the tide on this one.
Ok cool I understand where you are coming from.

On a side note: So the best Jazz musicians take chances? Is that what Bird, and John Coltrane did?

This is David Benoit's other vlog, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIkPH894bE4 where he talks about critics, and to sum it up, he says it doesn't matter what people think, as long as you are selling tickets, if you are playing music from your heart, and if you are happy then that is what matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Don't listen to jazz snobs. All forms of the music are as valid as each other. I've played with Jackie Mac and MR Albright and i can tell you they both played a mean sax. You would by amazed by how technically great a lot of the smooth jazzers are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reedsplinter said:
That's cool. You like what you like. I like country western (old style, at least) and western swing, in addition to just about everything you have in your list. And everything you listen to, you learn from. Just ignore us: we're on a roll.
You like country? :kermit: :laughing: :eek:ccasion: Oh sorry.

Reminds me of the classic Blues Brothers movie when they were in that country bar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbH6DGWlQIw hahahaha

Just playing. That's ok. My mom likes Country it pisses me off.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
JazzItUp said:
You like country? :kermit: :laughing: :eek:ccasion: Oh sorry.

Reminds me of the classic Blues Brothers movie when they were in that country bar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbH6DGWlQIw hahahaha

Just playing. That's ok. My mom likes Country it pisses me off.
Well, there, you see? But to me there's nothing better than classic Hank Williams (the writing is great!) or Bob Wills, which is big band jazz with cowboy hats, more or less. It's one step from Delta Blues to old-school country western, and a step and a half to jazz (listen to the track Jimmie Rodgers recorded with Louis Armstrong!).

Actually it's loving Hank, Jimmie, Robert Johnson, etc., that makes it almost impossible for me to find any redeeming musical value in so-called "smooth jazz," which to me is not jazz at all, but a form of Muzak entirely lacking in character. But that's an individual judgment.

[that's Rodgers The Yodelling Brakeman down there. . . .]
 
1 - 20 of 186 Posts
Top