Sax on the Web Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Short and sweet : I'd buy one :) Have to agree with Milandro about the British made thingie.

I wonder if it's British brass shipped to Taiwan 'ala' P.Mauriat's French brass :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't want to comment on the specifics of whether this sax is manufactured/assembled in the UK, but on the criteria required for that tag, Made in UK.

Some years ago in Australia, and it may or may not be the same now, a product could be stamped "Made In Australia" with as little as 60% content actually made in Australia. I believe the percentage was $$ based, so a product manufactured in a third world country could be packaged in Australia, and stamped "Made in Australia" because the value of the packaging (made with a relatively high labour cost) exceeded the cost of the product (made with a relatively low labour cost).

Back about 25 years Texwood jeans, an American product, were made from US grown cotton, but the cotton was spun in Asia, sent back across the Pacific to be labelled "Made in the USA", the cotton fabric was then sent back to Asia for manufacture into jeans, and then back across the pond to be labelled "Made in the USA" and sold.

I guess there are ways of maneuvering around the laws to create an illusion.

I think I may have said on another thread that 30 years ago nobody would buy a Japanese car except those who couldn't afford something better; now there aren't many better cars on the road. Ten years ago you wouldn't buy a Korean car, but they're now much better quality. Same with Taiwanese/Chinese products; they've improved so much and continue to do so.

A well known sax retailer posted this recently:

"I ride a Harley and the Japanese bikes are better and a third less" Well that hasn't always been so; price maybe, but quality no.

There may be a stigma associated with owning a Taiwan/China made sax, for the purists, but that will change as it did with Japanese instruments.

I have to say that if I saw a sax labelled "Made in Australia", I would be concerned about buying it since this country has no tradition of manufacturing musical instruments other than the didgeridoo and gum leaf. A salesman tried to pass the Temby off as Australian manufacture a while back, but under some heavy questioning admitted it was made in Taiwan. It was not made in China is what he said initially which may not have been deceptive, but it was certainly laying a red herring.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll add one thing though, you don't have to be great player to review a saxophone. You need only be knowledgeable and competent. Great players are often not good reviewers because they can make anything sound great - that's a big part of the reason why companies pay them to endorse or give them free instruments to endorse.
This is actually a very valid point.

With regard to "name" players offering their reviews it's sometimes fairly easy to spot when something is a marketing exercise, but sometimes not. I suppose the real proof lies in whether they are still playing the horn in question a few years down the line, or was it just for the one tour..........?

Yanagisawa have had a complimentary letter from Peter King on their website for some years now regarding one of their solid silver models - I went to see him playing in London a few weeks back, and that was exactly what he was playing.

I guess for those of us who don't personally know Dave O Higgins (or any of the seemingly legions of "name" players endorsing P. Mauriat at the moment) we'll have to wait a few years and see if they're all still playing these horns then..............

To get back to Pete Thomas's point above, though, far more interesting to an average amateur such as myself is what others at my level sound like on, or say about, "x" or "y" horn.

·
Banned
29 Posts
FYI Dave got rid of his Mark Vi and his TJ horn and now plays a Conn 10m that has been modified to make it ergonomically more suitable to him. And he sounds soulful with every note.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I'm about to post a review on my site of the new Signature Custom Raw tenor (should be up in the next few days).
I tried the earlier versions, and while they were decent enough horns I was never that taken with them. The new model is very different indeed.

Regards,

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,583 Posts
I'm about to post a review on my site of the new Signature Custom Raw tenor (should be up in the next few days).
I tried the earlier versions, and while they were decent enough horns I was never that taken with them. The new model is very different indeed.
I also tried quite a few of original Custom Signatures and was quite underwhelmed, so I'll be interested to see how they've improved them.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Anyone know about the news i heard that UK sax player Andy Sheppard has had a part in the new Sig Custom Raws design???

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,337 Posts
you mean next to being a spokesman for P.Mauriat? Yes, there are many " best horns around " for some people
http://www.andysheppard.co.uk/andysheppard/Mauriat.html
"......At last a new horn that sounds and feels really exceptional - just like a vintage Mk6 but new and with a big booty sound - the weight is great as is the response - tuning is perfect and there is that woody / grainy thing in the sound that I've only previously found in my old selmers ... fantastic !"

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
you mean next to being a spokesman for P.Mauriat? Yes, there are many " best horns around " for some people
http://www.andysheppard.co.uk/andysheppard/Mauriat.html
"......At last a new horn that sounds and feels really exceptional - just like a vintage Mk6 but new and with a big booty sound - the weight is great as is the response - tuning is perfect and there is that woody / grainy thing in the sound that I've only previously found in my old selmers ... fantastic !"
Yes they are some of the best horns made today,well i think so but i asked about the TJ horn

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,337 Posts
I was merely pointing out that he thinks the same of many horns and that if that is the case I personally have my doubts about the endorsements of those artist who endorse several products at the same time

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm a great Andy Sheppard fan, can anyone let me know where Andy has made any comments about the TJ Horn or his involvement with the design etc. Thanks.

·
2,547 Posts
I'm a great Andy Sheppard fan, can anyone let me know where Andy has made any comments about the TJ Horn or his involvement with the design etc. Thanks.
I don't know if he's made any public comments about it as yet - but my information comes from talking to him personally when he dropped round for a spot of lunch.

Regards,

·
2,547 Posts
Thanks for that - what did he eat?
I laid on a nice buffet lunch - pasta salad, olives, spot of cheese, salami, nice bread - a splash of Milandro's excellent balsamic vinegar and a few bottles of choice beer.

But, er, why?

Regards,

·
2,547 Posts
It could actually be more useful than knowing his setup :)
You could be right there...but it needs further testing.
I wonder if I can persuade Milandro to send me a bumper pack of balsamic vinegars...purely for scientific research, of course.

Regards,

41 - 60 of 72 Posts