1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
917 Posts
Steve, thanks for posting this clip, which was new to me.

I love the playing of both these guys, and they both have fantastic sounds.

I’m always amazed at the quality sounds Dave gets in that studio of his, which I believe is just an attic in his house. Always beautifully recorded.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Love both of these guys, and they are both friends. Beautiful musicians!

Thanks for doing that, Steve.

·
12,785 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was feeling a bit unmotivated this week after getting back from a family vacation so I transcribed two great minor blues solos by Dave O'Higgins and Max Ionata this morning. This is from a Youtube video of them recording the song "You're Nicked" to be released in 2019. Great playing and lines! Check it out!

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2018/...x-ionata-minor-blues-tenor-sax-transcription/
Wow - I guess Dave O'Higgins hasn't read some of the posts on here about how difficult the ergos are on the 10M. :lol: Sorry about the off topic comment, but I couldn't resist...

·
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - I guess Dave O'Higgins hasn't read some of the posts on here about how difficult the ergos are on the 10M. :lol: Sorry about the off topic comment, but I couldn't resist...
I had a tough time with the 10M ergos way back in the day and ended up selling it. Dave sounds great on his. Another guy that blows me away on a 10M is Tucker Antell up here in the New England area. Check out this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH74bHZD36Y

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts

Not to derail this thread, but the wonderful Dave O'Higgins is playing on a Conn tenor that has been modified by Steve Crow. More information here: http://www.stevecrow.co.uk/projects.htm

Rhys

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but the wonderful Dave O'Higgins is playing on a Conn tenor that has been modified by Steve Crow. More information here: http://www.stevecrow.co.uk/projects.htm

Rhys

Thanks for all the nice comments. I’m well chuffed that Steve has transcribed Max and my solos. Re my 10m - on this recording I’m playing a regulation, un- modified 1941 10m, which I slightly prefer to the other one (that Steve Crow modified to great effect, thereby easing me into to wonderful world of Conns!). I’m just as happy ergonomically on either of them now. I still have my old Mk6, which gets an occasional look in - but really it's all the same technically to me now. The choice is based on the sound. Low C#'s are easier on the Mk6. Intonation is easier on the Conn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
Thanks for all the nice comments. I’m well chuffed that Steve has transcribed Max and my solos. Re my 10m - on this recording I’m playing a regulation, un- modified 1941 10m, which I slightly prefer to the other one (that Steve Crow modified to great effect, thereby easing me into to wonderful world of Conns!). I’m just as happy ergonomically on either of them now. I still have my old Mk6, which gets an occasional look in - but really it's all the same technically to me now. The choice is based on the sound. Low C#'s are easier on the Mk6. Intonation is easier on the Conn.
Interesting to hear Dave. When I saw you playing a few months ago you were playing your two tenor show with Judith and I thought you were playing a Mark VI. I did wonder whether that was for contrast with her Conn.

I'm really looking forward to your new album.

Rhys

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Thanks for setting the records straight on the gear Dave. That goes a long way to stop silly rumors from littering the internet.

Is it true though, what I heard about your fingers and wrists being double-jointed allowing you to navigate such abysmal keywork?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Really good clip, thank you. I already know and love Dave O’Higgins recordings, but haven’t heard of Max Ionata before. He sounds great and one to listen to. Any recommendations on good recordings to start with?
Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts