Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered this book off of eBay last week, it should be here sometime in the next couple of days. What have people's experiences with this book been? I realize now I should probably have asked this before I bought the book, but I got excited. You know how it is...

·
2,407 Posts
This is my favorite saxophone-tone-oriented book in existence. I think Lieb did some extremely good work going into physiological and psychological processes involved in getting a good sound on the horn, and his exercises and suggestions are infinitely helpful. It's a lot of info packed into a very skinny book, and definitely worth multiple readings.

If you take what Lieb says seriously and experiment with his suggestions, you'll love what you get out of it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
This is a good representaion of Joe Allard's concepts of tone production- Joe Allard doesn't get much credit, and its hard to listen to Liebman's somewhat flawed demonstrations of some of the concepts on the video tape that accompanies the book, but since Allard is now passed on, if you can't study with one of Joe Allard's students (like Victor Morosco) this is the next best thing.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Dave Liebman- Developing a Personal Saxophone Sound

dirty said:
I just ordered this book off of eBay last week, it should be here sometime in the next couple of days. What have people's experiences with this book been? I realize now I should probably have asked this before I bought the book, but I got excited. You know how it is...
That's a great book. I have the DVD but want a copy of the book. Do you have any clues where I could find one?

·
187 Posts
Try Dorn Publications

I got my copy of Liebman ($19.95) from Dorn Publications www.dornpub.com (they have almost everything), the specific URL is http://www.dornpub.com/dornbook.html.

They also publish the Saxophone Journal and have enough music/goodies for sale to cost you the next ten years (at least) worth of income.

Good luck;) !

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
I like the presentation and exercises so much, I've used them continually for the last 12 years or so. The octave/upper partial tone-matching exercises are part of my "daily" warm-up.

Regarding the video, I wasn't aware that Dave's presentation left something to be desired. I found it pretty clear. And if Dave can't perform some of Joe Allard's exercises well, then they're probably over my head in this lifetime and it doesn't matter very much anyway. :D I would recommend getting the video.

·
Banned
451 Posts
saxagenarian, thanks for the info. Just ordered the book from Dorn's site.

Gary, the DVD that I have leaves nothing to be desired except I like to have a book to work out of rather than putting the DVD on everytime I need to reference Liebman's material.

·
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I need to use this in a practice room here at college. A DVD is not really an option.

It looks like I made the right decision. I'm hoping it will come today or tomorrow.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
dirty said:
Yeah, I need to use this in a practice room here at college. A DVD is not really an option. It looks like I made the right decision. I'm hoping it will come today or tomorrow.
FWIW, the video was not necessarily intended to be played along with. Hence it will do you as much good in your dorm room as in a practice room.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I especially liked chapter 7. This is section in my humble opinion contains the secret of a good sax sound. A good college or university library has this book.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
David is a brilliant human being and a great player who has contributed knowledge and art at a new educational level.

He's dead on in these books and he's one of the major cats.

BUY IT- ya won't be sorry.:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Chapter seven covers Lieb's thoughts on reeds and mouthpieces and has some helpful advice on these matters. The whole book is great, I think you'll really get a lot out of it.

·
844 Posts
Wailin' said:
I especially liked chapter 7. This is section in my humble opinion contains the secret of a good sax sound. A good college or university library has this book.
I thought I found the secret on page 50... ;)

·
2,388 Posts
Liebman's book is great. Buy it.

The DVD is indeed different, and as was noted here is not intended as a playalong. It's like having a long and comprehensive lesson with Liebman; provides concrete, sonic illustrations of stuff in the book; and is worth every penny of the 60 bucks it costs. Buy it.

·
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll check out the DVD after recovering from the last few weeks of spending. Textbooks and reeds add up fast.

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
BeerBatter said:
Are you kidding??!! Dave Liebman can't play his way out of a paper bag! Pah!
Not the best way to gain credibility in a forum. Liebs may not be the easiest human to get along with (sorta intense), but I have heard him play a few times and the first thing he played convinced me that a paper bag could never contain him! -probably not even if it were reinforced by Kevlar.

·
2,407 Posts
BeerBatter said:
Are you kidding??!! Dave Liebman can't play his way out of a paper bag! Pah!
Wow, I hope you're kidding.

Not everyone likes Lieb; I'm not the biggest fan of his playing all the time.

But there is absolutely no question that he can play. And if you think he can't, you're not listening. The man has put more time in on his horn than any ten of us combined on this forum. He takes his craft seriously and spiritually, has the chops to do anything he wants, and does exactly what he wants with those chops.

And if you're kidding, sorry I took you seriously.

·
Banned
333 Posts
I think its a great introduction to the Joe Allard concept.

As with all books, its better to work with a teacher, who, as Joe did, can talior the exercises to fit your specific weakness. (or perhaps, determine what those said weaknesses are & zero in on them, at first).

If you are in the NJ area, you would do yourself an imense favor, to take a lesson from DAVE TOFANI, who, IMHO is the #1 practitioner & teacher of Allard's concept. (even more so than Liebs)

If your in the middle of Plainsville, NoWhere, this book will do you right.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts