Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
One of the best equipment videos I’ve seen. Also not a fan but he’s committed to his thing and I respect that. On a side note, the alto player really has his stuff together.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
interesting Thanks for posting. I went to Tims Music in Carmichael Ca last saturday and tried out a bunch of new/used horns. I almost bought a Buffett Super Dynaction but unfortunately my 82Z has almost everything I want in an alto. So the Selmers, keilwerths, Yanis, went back on the wall and my wallet stayed intact. K

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
interesting Thanks for posting. I went to Tims Music in Carmichael Ca last saturday and tried out a bunch of new/used horns. I almost bought a Buffett Super Dynaction but unfortunately my 82Z has almost everything I want in an alto. So the Selmers, keilwerths, Yanis, went back on the wall and my wallet stayed intact. K
Keith....I was at Tim's Saturday morning and I played several horns too. Was that you in the first room playing an alto?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
The pinnacle (in my not so humble opinion) of Lieb's tenor sound was in the early-mid 70's. The Live At The Lighthouse album is a prime example. Here is Liebman playing in '75 (Germany). To me, this is pretty much the quintessential "post Coltrane" style that he, Grossman and a few others were so incredibly good at. It's pretty obvious he doesn't play much tenor anymore (as he states in the video, he doesn't carry one with him), as his sound is a shadow of what it used to be. The ideas are still there, but without that "sound", they don't do much for me.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts