Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave koz will come to West palm beach on Nov. 27 and I want to go. The problem is, when I checked the ticket price, it ranges from $80 to $300. The tickets below $200 are all balcony seats and only a few left. I am not big fan of Koz but I listen and play his songs sometimes and still want to see the live. Also Candy Dulfer will come as a guest and I want to see her.

My question is, why the tickets so expensive? I went to Kenny G's concert this March at Fort Lauderdale and I bought the best seats (orchestra level) which only cost $75. But the same seats for Koz is above $250! Why? Although koz is famous in smooth jazz area, in general he is not a very well-known musician to public. (Most of my friends do not know who he is, btw, i am a college student)

Another question, when I booked tickets for kenny g's concert, I directly booked it from the official performing center's website. But for Koz's concert, the official performing center website has not listed it yet. The only sources for buying tickets are those tickets website (like ticketsmore.com etc). Is it possible that these websites sell them expensive on purpose? Does anyone know something about it? I do not have much experience going to concerts.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Everybody gets a cut so the ticket price skyrockets. Wanted to see a concert around here at a local arena, ticket prices were advertised and were pretty reasonable, but by the time you added in everything, they were about double the advertised price...the promoter tacks on a fee, the venue even tacks on a fee, then there are regular ticket fees... sorry, they just priced themselves out of the market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
If they sell for that price, they are not overpriced. If they don't sell for that price, they are overpriced. Kenny G is not as popular as he once was and that is why his tickets are so low priced and easily accessible. It all comes down to, will people pay that much to see Dave Koz or not. Someone thinks they will. I can't imagine paying that much to see anyone but concert promoters and a zillion other people decide what to charge based on a bunch of criteria that makes no sense to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,443 Posts
Very simple really - the promoters believe they can sell the tickets at those prices in West Palm Beach and make money.

I wouldn't pay that much for the privilege to "experience" the event, but the promoters are certainly betting and putting their $$$$ at risk that enough other people will to make it worth their while.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the replies!

Update. I called the center. They said the tickets will be officially sold from performing center from the end of this month. I guess (only personally assumption), the official tickets price will be lower than those from tickest websites. I will wait to see how much they charge. Anyway, Dave koz + Candy Dulfer, for me it is really worthy to go.

BTW, why Dave koz's soprano sax sound so "thin"? I know it can be said as characteristic. But it does not sound like sax. I remembered in his early song "Emily" (my most favorate of his), he sounded very close to Kenny G. Later his soprano tone changed a lot. I guess he did not want others to think him as "second kenny g".

·
Registered
39 Posts
... or you could drive 30 minutes south and see people like Ed Calle and Ira Sullivan play for free. They don't have the same dancing skill set, but I bet the music is good.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I got paid 116 dollars to 'see' Kenny G. Of course I had to help unload the trucks and set up the stage....

·
Registered
240 Posts
I only heard of Dave Koz because after I bought my Beechler, I wanted to see who was playing them. Now that I'm not, I have heard him on the radio six times.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Joe Jazz had an awesome week on the Dave Koz Smooth Jazz Cruise to Alaska. Given the high concert ticket prices, maybe you should just save up for the next cruise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Ira Sullivan for FREE? What a choice! Dave Koz for $80-300 or Ira Sullivan for free. Come on, it's a no-brainer!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the information! Now I know there are great players at my area and cannot wait to see them playing, especially for free!:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts