Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dave Guardala MB mouthpiece that I haven't played in years and while doing some research I notice the prices have really increased on these. Would I be making the wrong choice by selling this since I don't play anymore? I would imagine if I ever wanted to play once again there would be something I could replace it with. From what I can tell this is a 4 digit serial number (hard to read) and with my poor measuring skills seems to have a .108 tip opening. Does this seem about right specs wise? I purchased this back in 1990 I believe.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
You've already made a wrong choice by not playing.:)

Welcome to SOTW.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Now that Dave Guardala is out of jail again maybe you should sell it before he starts making handmade ones again.
Good point. Also I'd be curious to see that if he does go back into the biz what his pricing would be. Given his conviction--would you give him the $$ up front?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think in the last 15 years or so there are other options for mouthpieces out there. Does that tip opening seem about right? Were there different openings in the Brecker?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
These are the semi-handmade pieces. Prior to 1986, Guardala mouthpieces were handmade. They sold for $500 and were bespoke, custom, one-offs. In '86 (or so), Guardala got a CNC machine and only had to hand finish parts of the chamber and baffle. These types sold for $150 (for tenor). I had a "traditional model" tenor piece that I got in 1986. Oddly, it was Brandford Marsalis who encouraged me to switch back to a Link. He said "every motherf#@er that you like, played a Link". So, I went back to Otto Links. A year or so later, Brandford switched to a Gaurdala, and when I reminded him about what he said earlier, he quickly responded with; "Well, I changed my mind Motherf#@er!"

Anyway, I think I traded the Gaurdala for some vintage Links.

I would sell it now. I can't believe they're fetching the high prices that we see and I can't imagine them going up even more. I mean, what kind of schmuck pays $1,500 for a mouthpiece when you can get one that plays just as well for a third of the cost? Phil Barone pieces are just as good. So are Aaron Drake and Fred Lebayle pieces. JJ Babitt produced Guy Hawkins mouthpieces are a lot like the Gaurdala trad model. The Brecker model had a bit more baffle.

Oh yeah, that tip seems about right. Guardala used an "optimum facing", which is to say that he was lazy and didn't want to produce a range. Typically, those late '80s, CNC made Gaurdalas were about .110 or so. The facings were done by hand and not 100% accurate. So, a .110 could actually be a .108 and a .105 could be a .108, if that makes any sense?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
These are the semi-handmade pieces. Prior to 1986, Guardala mouthpieces were handmade. They sold for $500 and were bespoke, custom, one-offs. In '86 (or so), Guardala got a CNC machine and only had to hand finish parts of the chamber and baffle. These types sold for $150 (for tenor). I had a "traditional model" tenor piece that I got in 1986. Oddly, it was Brandford Marsalis who encouraged me to switch back to a Link. He said "every motherf#@er that you like, played a Link". So, I went back to Otto Links. A year or so later, Brandford switched to a Gaurdala, and when I reminded him about what he said earlier, he quickly responded with; "Well, I changed my mind Motherf#@er!"

Anyway, I think I traded the Gaurdala for some vintage Links.

I would sell it now. I can't believe they're fetching the high prices that we see and I can't imagine them going up even more. I mean, what kind of schmuck pays $1,500 for a mouthpiece when you can get one that plays just as well for a third of the cost? Phil Barone pieces are just as good. So are Aaron Drake and Fred Lebayle pieces. JJ Babitt produced Guy Hawkins mouthpieces are a lot like the Gaurdala trad model. The Brecker model had a bit more baffle.

Oh yeah, that tip seems about right. Guardala used an "optimum facing", which is to say that he was lazy and didn't want to produce a range. Typically, those late '80s, CNC made Gaurdalas were about .110 or so. The facings were done by hand and not 100% accurate. So, a .110 could actually be a .108 and a .105 could be a .108, if that makes any sense?
I'd like to nominate this for post of the year.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Now that Dave Guardala is out of jail again maybe you should sell it before he starts making handmade ones again.
+1 . That woul be my forecast too. But, since we do not have the crystal ball, we can always be wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. Barry. That is the info I was looking for. I did place the piece up for sale on the used section of this forum. Appreciate all the info I have found here in the forums lots of great stuff!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts