Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone here must surely have the experience to date this Martin for me. It's a Lewin Bros (UK importer) soprano, and comparing it with all the pics I've seen (and the word of the shop I bought it from) it's a Martin, and I guess a Handcraft. No front F key.

But the date? The serial number is 193927, but that's not necessarily a Martin number, unless it's one of those six figure numbers from 1926 (http://www.themartinstory.net/).

It's a lovely machine and in good nick, with original case and (possibly) original mouthpiece, and serviced by the shop I bought it from. But I'm new to sop and it's (bejaysus!) hard work ... but with a new Yamaha MPC it's getting easier day by day.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,321 Posts
It is possible that it was made by Courturier. I have a Lyon & Healy that looks identical to a Martin made by Courturier. IT has the palm keys for the LH interconnected whereby when playing Eb, the D is opened and playing F, the Eb and D are both opened. If this is the case, and Courturier made it, the serial number would date to about 1928.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts