Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use a Meyer 6M with Ricoh Jazz Select and BG Tradition. If I want a darker sound should I go to a Meyer 5M or 7M (everything else remaining the same)?
Thanks for your help.

Ben

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea! Thanks Thunder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
Tip opening will not significantly alter brightness or darkness. Its a design issue. I agree, try reeds first...much cheaper and it may get you what your after.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sigmund.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Did you try a mouthpiece with bigger chamber and almost no baffle?
It will give u a much mellower and warmer and darker sound.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lorentz said:
Did you try a mouthpiece with bigger chamber and almost no baffle?
It will give u a much mellower and warmer and darker sound.
I'm also planning to do this but not sure which pieces would be suitable (have bigger chamber and almost no baffle vs 6M).
Do you have some any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

Ben

·
Registered
494 Posts
Did you try the filed or the unfiled one for the rico jazz select? I think the unfiled one is darker by a bit, and yes trya vandoren Java will help make the sound darker, also, if you get a Gold plated BG ligature.. it'll make the sound alittle bit darker bit can be bright when you push it!

·
878 Posts
An Otto Link HR may give you what you want...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Gonzalez reeds are significantly darker than RJSs, more consistent than Vandorens, and come in 1/4 strengths. On a price vs. quality scale they're a real bargain. They run about 1/2 strength harder than Rico products--a Gonzalex 2.5 is about the same as a RJS 3S to 3M. I play a 6M on a Yani A880, and the Gonzalez are a little to dark for the sound I want (LaVoz works for me).

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your inputs.

Here are the options I'm considering:
Reeds
1. Vandoren Traditionals (Blue Box) 2.5 or 3
2. Vandoren Java (still trying to figure out which one)
3. La Voz Medium Hard
4. Gonzalez reeds (still trying to figure out which one)
Mouthpiece
Otto Link HR

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I'd try different reeds on your Meyer before changing mouthpieces.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Mouthpieces:

Classical = Caravan or Rascher

Jazz = Barone Vintage Series

Reeds:

Classical = Vandoren Blue Box or LaVoz

Jazz = Vandoren ZZ, V16, or LaVoz (hard)

·
Registered
241 Posts
otto link

Hey recently I made a switch of mouthpiece and I got an early babbitt meyer 5m to try out. it was quite nice I really liked the response I got across all registers etc. I was using a E. Rousseau JDX 7 and I love that piece only it got a bit too bright for me. the only thing I disliked (other than the opening - I like bigger mouthpieces) was that it was a bit bright for what I was looking for. I also got to try a link HR 7*. I love my early babbitt link - it's like a meyer only with more balls behind it. Mark Spencer (the man who sold me the mouthpiece) said the only complaints he got for the links was that they didn't project well. I like to blow a lot of air through my horn so projection isn't really a problem. If you like to blow a lot of air seriously consider a HR link. the only thing you'll have to get used to is the shape

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
let me drop another 2 cents here, the reed thing is a very good and cheap idea but it will only slightly impact on the sound (the strenght of a reed is a variable which if too thin or two thick will affect playability a lot more than sound, the type of reed will do more about the sound ). I totally second the Link thing but I would suggest you try a metal STM, I love it to bits with its the dark "hollow" sound it has on my Martin (a little less succesfull on my Selmer SA 80 II which I am thiking to sell), I use a 7* which is probably a little too open but I am making do with this.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
I'd go with the Vandoren Blue Box reeds too. Changing mouthpieces isn't going to help much, unless you are looking for a classical sound. The Meyer is one of the darker sounding jazz pieces out there (as compared to, say, a Lakey or Dukoff). You might be able to get away with something like a Hite Classic, but it probably won't give you the projection that you want.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I tried a metal STM the other day and I have to say I was impressed by it. It was a friends old 6* - and it played great. I was just disappointed that it wasn't open enough (I tend to play 7* and up) it was a pleasant surprise.

Personally I think the Meyer is sort of a middle of the range mouthpiece - like don't get me wrong they are great mpcs.. You can, however get much darker mouthpieces. Generally though you get less projection with darker mouthpieces.

Maybe another option would be a HR berg... my teacher plays a vintage berg and says he hasn't changed pieces since he bought it in the 60's. I tried one and the darkness is good but so is the projection and the clarity of the tone. I didn't buy it because it didn't seem to fit on my Serii III neck at all and it was too much of a hassle getting it on or off...

·
4,596 Posts
Really good points from benbyrne, I'm in full agreement. On the darkness side of the scale for jazz alto pieces, something like Meyer falls in the middle, then Otto Link Tone Edge, Morgan Vintage, and HR Berg #3 chamber. Those Bergs in slightly larger tips (.75 - 85) have a huge dark sound that projects. Worth looking into, definitely! For whatever reason they have tight shanks, you might have to get it bored out a little to fit most modern neck corks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts