Sax on the Web Forum banner

Darker mouthpiece for a 23

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Reet McVouty 
OP, from your sig block it looks like you have a Vandoren T6 for your 10M? How does that sound on your 23? Otherwise there are a number of great suggestions here that facilitate "thicker darker"- Drake's, B. Allen, Phil-Tone HR pieces, also Morgan HR's (Jazz or Excalibur lines). If you've been playing a 10M, I'm guessing you have an established embouchure. Did you get the 23 for a different tonal color, maybe brighter?

twowheels,

I sold the 10M and bought a brand new used yts-23. It had only been played about 5 times. The V16 and Java pieces are inherently bright/brittle sounding. Leaning towards the Phil-Tone Tribute.
BobD, got it...you've been on the forum for quite a while and I thought I remembered you weighing-in on tenor stuff from time to time. :)

Maybe this is helpful, but I just put my kid's YAS-26 (YAS-23 successor) in the shop for tune-up that he has played for the past 4 years. I play-tested it with my own personal alto piece, a Morgan Excalibur 7M and it was plenty lively; the Morgan tends to be a little brighter and I find it easy to shape the tone. (I *really* like my Rift 7 on alto too, though....) But that's an alto and not a tenor, and you're asking about tenor.

I like the Morgans so much I've been playing an Excalibur 8* (.105) on my tenor..more brilliant than the average Link but still full and round...on my Ref 36. My tonal concept is more along the lines of Turrentine, the artist I model myself after. Again, I think a Drake NYJ, Morgan Excalibur (I'd go ML-to-L) would be great. But I've been eyeing the Phil-Tone Intrepid, too, have been holding my GAS at bay. Had a Tribute in the past and it played great too, not tubby at all. G'luck with the search/hunt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.