Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a nice jazz tenor saxophone mouthpiece with a price range from 0 - $400 i hope not to spend 400 but if i really like the mouthpiece then i probally will.

I am currently on a otto link supertone master 7 and it plays really loud and bright to me and i like it for alot of the stuff that i do but i would like to get a new mouthpiece that is darker, and still has a loud sound if wanted. i want something that can make the tenor sax sound pretty in the lower notes and the higher ones too, i dont need to be able to get into the altissimo range with this one because i got the otto link for that. thanks for your input hope to hear from you all.

Thanks, bdsax

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Google these and check them out:

Morgan Classical in the 6C Facing (090"; also good for a dark jazz sound)
Saxscape Uptown KB 108 aka Uptown Dark; scroll down the page; Saxscape offers are a few dark models

These are two fine vendors and their mouthpieces are in the $250 - $300 range new. JunkDude, at the link I gave you, stocks the Morgans, and sax-accessories stocks the Saxscape pieces or you can order directly from Ken.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,495 Posts
A loud and bright Otto Link STM 7!!!! That's quite odd.

If you have a price range of 0-400 you can buy almost anything. FANTASTIC!

Click on the link in my signature for a series of links addressing your question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, my private lessions teacher also told me that i sound bright when i go up in reed strength it seems to darken it up but it still sounds bright. also i am havin a problem tuning to the band, i dont know if it is the mouthpiece that i am using or if it is the sax. if it is the sax then that problem might be solved when i get my conn 10m naked lady back from the shop

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
vandoren zz 2.5/3s
STM's are known for being dark, to some stuffy. Unless your STM is the oddball bright one, I'd suspect reed experimentation should come first.

Vandoren markets the ZZ's for rock and roll and straight ahead, so they may be account for the brightness.

Try: Alexander Superial 2.5, Royal Rico 2.5, Vandoren red JAVA 2.5

And when all else fails, long tones!

·
6,862 Posts
My STM plays pretty bright too...at least when I'm attached to it. If you want to stay in the same basic ballpark as the Link, you might check out the Barone Jazz: it's an absolutely awesome dark mouthpiece IMHO. Lot's of reviews from SotWers.
R.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Though $55 over your budget I ordered a blemished theo wanne ambika 6* in hard rubber for only $455(total including the $9 shipping). I saved 25% over the list of $595. Blem is a small pin hole sized void under where tip of reed. These mouthpieces are very dark and fat!!! No baffle!!!

·
2,853 Posts
Brancher L chamber mouthpieces are very nice. Very dark and very affordable. $200. Saxforte.com has them and they are well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have a hard rubber Brilhart Personaline I am considering to sell.
Round chamber piece with a dark almost classical sound with great projection
and can get loud too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts