Sax on the Web Forum banner

Dark Ligatures...

9K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ManEast 
#1 ·
I am searching for a new ligature to replace my rovner dark, and ijust wanted everyones opinion on any "dark" ligs that are worth buying. if you can think of any good dark ligatures, please help me out

#7 ·
I tie down VanDoren 2.5s to an S-80 C* (circa 1986) with Rovner's 1RL "dark" lig to lure a reliable and darkish tone from my Yani A-4 "Astro" alto and I find that the tone is fairly stable throughout the octaves, helped to some extent by the Rovner. Recently I've been trying to learn more about how to darken my tone through equipment change but without splurging on a new horn (I was tempted to use my credit card to snag a Yani A901 a few weeks ago!). So, what I've learned from SOTW and other reliable info sources is that a different mpc might do the trick. I've been contemplating a Selmer Larry Teal to add darkness, or maybe a VanDoren AL3? I figure $100-$200 is a reasonable price to pay to dial in a more classical tone/voice/timbre, compared with +$2K to upgrade my horn. I slop these three nouns together with forward slashes in a lazy attempt to get my meaning across, because I have precious little experience in talking about music and even less knowledge of music theory.
(insert ashamed/confused/embarrassed smiley face here)

#8 ·
The single most important part of any sound is the part behind the mpce

Reeds can affect the tone. On my sop Hemke reeds are noticeably darker than say any of the java series.

I have 4 different sop mpces and 3 alto mpces. Yes there are differences but when I hear recordings of myself using different mpces I am always a bit amazed at how much I sound like me.

#10 ·
The single most important part of any sound is the part behind the mpce.......
I thought you were talking of the brain ....... which, I think, is really very important when it comes to driving the rest of you towards a so called " sound concept". That's why a player despite the equipment , if changed, in a few days will tend to gravitate towards the same sound that it had before.

#11 ·
Well ... The brain and the attached parts that work with it ...lungs windpipe mouth tongue lips.

Speaking of lips a nice loose lower lip spread out gently over more of the reed will darken even the sharpest brightest mpce reed combo

#12 ·
IMO Bandmommy is right on the money. The Rovner style of lig will provide the most dampening of any of them.

Other than trying a different reed I suggest reading Dave Leibmans book developing a personal saxophone sound. Least expensive and most effective way to modify ones sound there is IMO. Takes longer and works much better than anything else

#13 ·
An Otto Link or other "Linkish-style" mpc will also certainly keep your tone darker and warmer than a Selmer S-80, and you can perhaps try a different lig than the Rovner Dark". I use a Phil-Tone HR Link with a Rovner Legacy on an old Yamaha YAS-21 back-up alto and it really sings! Links are not so common on altos, but sometimes they just work, and work really well!

#15 ·
I started down the road to a new sound a year ago. I wasn't happy with my sound on Sop and had been down the mpce/reed/horn road. That was a $2500 bill.

I then studied Allard's info online and got Dave's book. Completely changed embouchure. Only now is it all coming back and I practice a few hours each and every day.

Musician buddies and my own ears have heard the difference but at Christmas I had independent confirmation when I sent off a few tracks along with a few from my trumpet playing buddy who's friend had asked him to get some tracks for his take on Little Sunflower. He got back to me asking me to confirm that I was indeed playing soprano and said he really liked the sound.

#17 ·
in sticking strictly with the OPs question, i say the Rovner Dark is about the darkest lig you can get. i've head about the Vandoren Klassic lig, which is a screwless woolen lig which might be slightly darker....i've never owned or tried one.

but that aside, if you're still wanting a darker tone....get an open chamber mouthpiece (caravan or rascher. preferably the former). if that still isn't working out, ask your doctor what's right for you.....(as in someone with a doctoral degree)

EDIT: before i get remarks like "they only have the Klassic for clarinet", check vandoren's website. they are there. you might have to have a store order it for you because they aren't stocked in any one i've been to, but i know for a fact they can get one for you.

#18 ·
dark is a perception..and often our perception behind the horn is misleading...

in my ears/eyes full,and a fat core sound leads to dark

i am not a fan of the dampening qualities of rovners...I do on the other hand LOVE the eddie daniels type rovners...yet they create much overtones,and that equates to bright to me

my darkest ligs are FL heavy brass and Theo Wanne enlightened with the heavy brass reed plate...my brilhart 3 band is also in the mix witha different flavour for metal my vintage otto link with the stamp on the screw is the darkest(and my favorite)

#20 ·
Dark is a perception..and often our perception behind the horn is misleading... in my ears/eyes full,and a fat core sound leads to dark.
i am not a fan of the dampening qualities of rovners...I do on the other hand LOVE the eddie daniels type rovners...yet they create much overtones,and that equates to bright to me )

This is Bang On The Money ... Don't mix up Dark with Dull !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.