Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pretty expensive new horn. A Selmer Reference. People definitely notice that it is a fine horn. I wish there wasn't such a close relationship between the way a horn looks and plays! What do you think about the risk of practicing outdoors with this horn? Do you have a backup horn to practice outdoors with? Are we at risk of getting robbed? Has anyone heard of this happening?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
If you want to be scared of robbery, take the time to consider one's exposure while packing the gear from the gig to the car - especially if you didn't get a cherry parking space near the gig and have to schlep gear across town, at 3:00am, when the only people on the street are criminals, drunks, and tired musicians.

I practice with my Ref 36 outdoors regularly - one of the best ways to develop one's sound.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've practiced outside with my VI but avoid places where I don't feel safe, look for a kind of busy place (parks can be good) and always have an "eye" out

As the recent thread about Joshua Bell busking and virtually being ignored (!) in Washington D.C. pointed out, it seems people are just too busy getting to work, getting to wherever to even pay attention to his music. I wonder how much that violin he was playing on was worth? $100,000. maybe?
So I doubt folks will be checking out your shiny new horn:D

When I do outside to play (usually to do some long tone studies I know the neighbors must be sick of) I also try to avoid places that are dusty and being by the ocean here in San Francisco, the salty air by the Bay.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carl H. said:
Where is "outdoors" for you?
I practice under a bridge in berkeley and at a lake next to my house at night after work. Also, at a number of different parks during the day on weekends. BTW, the reference is a truly magical horn. It's changed my entire tonal concept and approach to playing...

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
It seems that I take my POS Yanagisawa to a lot more gigs now than I used to. I've had Joe Blow customers come up to me and ask what serial number my MarkVI is and, to tell you the truth, it is starting to make me leave it at home.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My opinion is that regadless of whether there's a real danger or not, if you're worrying about the sax you won't be relaxed and you won't enjoy it or sound as good as you could.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick Adams said:
My opinion is that regadless of whether there's a real danger or not, if you're worrying about the sax you won't be relaxed and you won't enjoy it or sound as good as you could.
I'm not worried. I've been doing it since I bought the horn. My family is a little concerned and made me aware of it. I'm wondering if there concern is valid? Has anyone heard of someone being robbed while practicing outside? I've never had any problems practicing outside.

I also get tired of people asking me what horn I have and then attributing my tone with the fact that I have the horn...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
saxophoniste said:
I've practiced outside with my VI but avoid places where I don't feel safe, look for a kind of busy place (parks can be good) and always have an "eye" out

As the recent thread about Joshua Bell busking and virtually being ignored (!) in Washington D.C. pointed out, it seems people are just too busy getting to work, getting to wherever to even pay attention to his music. I wonder how much that violin he was playing on was worth? $100,000. maybe?
So I doubt folks will be checking out your shiny new horn:D

When I do outside to play (usually to do some long tone studies I know the neighbors must be sick of) I also try to avoid places that are dusty and being by the ocean here in San Francisco, the salty air by the Bay.

If you read the article I believe I read the violin is valued at 7.5 Million $$$$$$$ dollars. it's a Stradivarious

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Mike Cesati said:
If you read the article I believe I read the violin is valued at 7.5 Million $$$$$$$ dollars. it's a Stradivarious
Not only a strad, but a good one (probably low five-digits model;)).

He traded in another strad for the one he plays now.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
queperknuckle said:
I'm not worried. I've been doing it since I bought the horn. My family is a little concerned and made me aware of it. I'm wondering if there concern is valid? Has anyone heard of someone being robbed while practicing outside? I've never had any problems practicing outside.

I also get tired of people asking me what horn I have and then attributing my tone with the fact that I have the horn...
Crime is a funny thing - although it's endemic to our society (speaking of the U.S. here), for most of us our risk of being victimized at any given time is low. On the other hand, the consequences for you or your horn could be quite serious. Is there some reason you want or need to practice outdoors? If your family is concerned about you why not put their minds to rest and practice indoors?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,299 Posts
queperknuckle said:
I just bought a pretty expensive new horn. A Selmer Reference. People definitely notice that it is a fine horn. I wish there wasn't such a close relationship between the way a horn looks and plays! What do you think about the risk of practicing outdoors with this horn? Do you have a backup horn to practice outdoors with? Are we at risk of getting robbed? Has anyone heard of this happening?
You kidding? Pine rosin will eat a hole right through that Reference. And as far as getting stolen? Selmer References are commanding an all-time high value in the local pawn shops. I'd keep the thing hanging around my neck if I was you. [I tried myspace.com/queperknckle and came up emty, so I'm assuming that you're somewhere near Spring Lake.]

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
q'knuckle,

I envy you that Reference.

Have you thought about praticing with a cheaper horn?

By the way, in any given year Americans are about twice
as likely to the victim of a violent crime as they are to
be injured in an automobile accident.

My take is that your instincts are telling you to
stop taking such dangerous chances. I'd advise
you to listen to your instincts. I read that a recently
released FBI study of police officers involved in shootings
revealed that even the cops were (relatively) naively
unprepared for the coldblooded ruthlessness of modern
violent criminals.

rabbit

·
1,877 Posts
I practice outside all the time in the good months. I go to parks, and I go to the local college campus and play between the buildings . I play on Martha's Vineyard on the sea wall, I take my horn into the woods and blow on a rock near a lake. I LOVE to play outdoors and I think its great for your tone.

My horn is a Conn Chu worn but is just as valuable to me as your Selmer.I would hate to replace it.I like the freedom of playing outdoors. I've been in all winter playing inside. I guess it depends WHERE you live and where you are going to pick. Public parks should be cool. Have fun

·
Registered
560 Posts
queperknuckle said:
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but I hope that you have the horn insured.

·
6,862 Posts
Yeah, and then there's this.

Now that'll really make your Selmer stuffy and unresponsive!

Rory:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts