Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I want to make a mouthpiece decision that is smart, and that the mouthpiece will not hold me back from playing these particular styles and such:
Bebop
Modern, Will Vinson esq things
Funk
Lead Alto (Important)
Traditional Jazz styles

Right now I am looking at Ted Klum's lineup, and I have to say, his mouthpieces are top of the notch.
I currently have a Versitone Acoustimax 7 out on trial, but have also tried and liked the Tonamax, and New York Model... I have heard that the acoustimax leans toward the bright side, but i have also heard a few refute that statement.

Can anyone offer any insight to these mouthpieces? I am very much aware that its mostly the player, but am curious to see more on the topic of Ted Klum mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
welcome,

you wi receive at least as many recommendations as there will will be people responding and you still won’t know what is good for you without trying, so after all is is said, much will still remain to be DONE, in the sense of trying.

Another thing the thread's title is very general until you proceed to ask a VERY specific question, you should have made THAT celar in the title.

How would anyone , from the tile, understand you want specific info on THOSE mouthpieces?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Any of the Ted Klum mouthpieces will do exactly what you want as long as you put the time in to get there.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Pick the one that your ear tells you you like, and stick wtih it!
Keep in mind that your ear, over time, will start to tell you that you want a different sound, and, therefore, your brain will instantly tell you that you need a new, different mouthpiece.
At this point, grab a Q-Tip and stab your brain via your ear, and tell it to shut up.
Unless you want to collect mouthpieces, you are best served by finding one of great quality (which Klums are) and learning how to control your tone so your ear is happy through practice and lessons.
Spoiler alert: You can play any music, in any way, on any good quality mpc.
Sure, pros and folks that are very adept on sax like to 'dial in' a sound with various mpcs, you don't sound like you are either.
You are the instrument, spend your money on you (lessons) until you are good enough to appreciate your own tone.
Over time, you may want to dial in certain things, which is fine, or, you just might want to buy a lot of stuff, which is also fine, but don't let it distract you from loving one mpc.
Spoiler alert: It most likely won't be your lifetime mpc.
I know a very good player who still plays on the mpc he got in 8th grade, he sounds amazing and runs circles around many folks I have heard.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Style is more about player input. How you blow, your inflections, articulation, etc. Style is not determined by a mouthpiece. Hell, even "sound" is not determined by a mouthpiece. A certain mouthpiece might lean towards a certain TONE, but SOUND is a combination of tone, phrasing, dyamics, articulation, etc.

All those styles you mention are playable on many mouthpieces. Based on lead alto/funk, it sounds like you'll want something that's got some additional punch/power/clarity. I respect Ted's work but have personally found the 10mfan Showboat alto piece to be superior, for me. You may find the opposite to be true.

Bottom line is a great mouthpiece won't hinder you. The only thing that will stop you from playing those styles is you. Practice, listen, practice, listen. Good luck!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Long story short, I want to make a mouthpiece decision that is smart, and that the mouthpiece will not hold me back from playing these particular styles and such:
Bebop
Funk
Lead Alto (Important)
Traditional Jazz styles

Right now I am looking at Ted Klum's lineup, and I have to say, his mouthpieces are top of the notch.
I currently have a Versitone Acoustimax 7 out on trial, but have also tried and liked the Tonamax, and New York Model... I have heard that the acoustimax leans toward the bright side, but i have also heard a few refute that statement.

Can anyone offer any insight to these mouthpieces? I am very much aware that its mostly the player, but am curious to see more on the topic of Ted Klum mouthpieces.
So what is it you really want? Someone to give you a critique of Ted Klum's mouthpieces (personally I have no info there, as I have never heard of him) or someone to guide you on your search for the holy grail of mouthpieces. About the latter I can almost assure you there is no life long mouthpiece. Perhaps there is one player out there that has been content to play the same piece their whole life but I've never heard of him/her. I'd love to hear from someone who has, I think that would be interesting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,941 Posts
Bebop
Funk
Lead Alto (Important)
Traditional Jazz styles

The Klum pieces are great for a piece to fill your wish list - as are a number of Meyer-derivative pieces. Given your apparent lack of playing different pieces of this genre, I suggest you ensure a trial period if you are buying a new piece. Buying a used piece can be a great way to go to save some money, but many/most sellers will not offer a trial period.

Be also aware that reed selection is necessary for dialing in response and brightness - that includes reed strength, as well as cut and brand.

Enjoy the quest.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Kuch guy, you should probably tell a little more about yourself. Since I don’t know, I will take this opportunity to say why I always say, try and find a good teacher and they can help you choose better. Also, keep in mind that depending on your ability level, you may actually play a lot better than many of the people that will possibly give advice. There is no system to tell who is a world famous performer (which we have here) and who first started playing the saxophone six months ago. So share more info, look into possible local teachers, and have good fun reading on the forum.
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Any of the Ted Klum mouthpieces will do exactly what you want as long as you put the time in to get there.
I think this pretty much says it all. Although I think we could say the same of 10mfan, Philtone, Barone, and a number of other high quality mouthpiece makers.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
Off the shelf 5 Meyer.
I had a Klum tenor mouthpiece I got in a trade. Absolutely beautiful work but stunk.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to develop a sound of your own and then apply it to the styles you want to play, not the other way round.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
This guy (The Saxophone Geek) just did a review of a Klum tenor mouthpiece; he has also done some reviews on alto mouthpieces by Ted Klum and others. Might be worth looking at for more info.

BTW, I agree with Milandro that you probably should have mentioned Klum in the title of the thread. Welcome to SOTW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riiK3dZs_q4

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Klum stuff is fantastic! However if you are a savvy minded mouthpiece customer you might seek Greg Wier out. His work is very good and usually 1/3 the price of the majors.

He also does expert refacing and frighteningly inexpensive for the work he does.

The only possible downside is that he only sells through eBay because he is also a very busy professional player in the St. Augustine, Florida area.

His eBay seller name is gwindplayer

My 2 pesos

1 - 13 of 13 Posts