Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love that YouTube video of Dexter playing lady bird live in Belgium. I learned the solo and tried to play it. I got all the notes, but the inflections and other sauce Dexter put on it is insane and impossible to duplicate. Not to mention he's tounging almost every eight note at 220 B/m. On top of that, he's playing an old 10M which isn't the easiest horn to play fast in my opinion. And.....he's making it all up on the spot. And then there's that super fat gorgeous tone! Simply amazing, I've been into him since 1995 and I'll never get tired of listening to Dex!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Seeing Dex live was more than just great music, totally unforgettable experiences. Sitting in the Vanguard watching Dex on the Homecoming tour with Mingus, Mclean, Lionel Hampton and others in the audience was like a dream come true. There's just nothing quite like that still left.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seeing Dex live was more than just great music, totally unforgettable experiences. Sitting in the Vanguard watching Dex on the Homecoming tour with Mingus, Mclean, Lionel Hampton and others in the audience was like a dream come true. There's just nothing quite like that still left.
Wow!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
IMO Dexters sound on that tune is THE quintessential jazz tenor sax sound. Never get tired of hearing it.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:love2:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
When Homecoming was released, I was awestruck, and have not gotten over it since.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
When Homecoming was released, I was awestruck, and have not gotten over it since.
I knew of Dexter of course, even had a couple of his albums, but a trumpet player brought this album to my house when it first came out and said "You've gotta hear this". That was the beginning of my realization that Dexter is the greatest tenor player that ever lived.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I knew of Dexter of course, even had a couple of his albums, but a trumpet player brought this album to my house when it first came out and said "You've gotta hear this". That was the beginning of my realization that Dexter is the greatest tenor player that ever lived.
Not surprising it would be a trumpeter: that album features the immortal Woody Shaw! Not to mention all of Woody's working band of that time. There's quite a lot of "live" Woody that's been released in recent years, and it's all pretty great.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
IMO Dexters sound on that tune is THE quintessential jazz tenor sax sound. Never get tired of hearing it.

- Saxaholic
I'm right there with you. I like all the different flavors of sax music excepting some of the smooth jazz elevator music but His was so big and complex it was easy to listen to.

·
Registered
334 Posts
He is marvelous obviously. In addition to his tone, phrasing, I love his time feel. He plays behind the beat unlike most sax players.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Oh no! Is that a re-lacquered 10M? Didn't know re-lacquers could sound this awesome!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
He is marvelous obviously. In addition to his tone, phrasing, I love his time feel. He plays behind the beat unlike most sax players.
Not only that, but allow me to admit something that's kinda-sorta embarrassing. I've been listening to Dexter, Sonny Stitt, 'Trane, etc. for almost 40 yrs and about 2 yrs ago while driving to a gig and listening to Stitt (can't remember the exact recording), I realized something that almost made me drive off the damn road. This video of Dexter is also a prime example of what I'm going to divulge...
Again and yes, his time (at times) is just a tad behind the beat, but never drags, but here was the "revelation" to me....
His 8th notes are almost exclusively played STRAIGHT. Yes, he does to the typical "swing" 8th's from time to time, but for the most part, the way he (and in MANY instances Stitt, 'Trane, etc) plays his 8th's are about as straight "up and down" as you can get. His sometimes heavy articulation is another topic, but combine that with the straight 8th's and slightly behind the beat playing, it's absofreakinglutely amazing. How I never noticed that in the decades of listening to him and the others mentioned above blows my mind. I (obviously) NEVER noticed that before and I"ll also add that for me, it opens up my brain to so many different ideas, lines, etc. when I play. This tempo area is the prime speed/time to do those straight 8th's.
So there......I just outed myself.....lol

*Edit* For those of you who aren't aware of Charles McNeal's transcriptions, he has this on his website: http://charlesmcneal.com/uploads/-LadyBird_DexterGordon_.pdf

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
And you know Lester Young would sometimes do the same. He would move in and out of playing straight eighth notes and swung eighths. There is a stark contrast between him and Coleman Hawkins for that characteristic.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Samusax, thank you for posting the YouTube link, enjoyed it. Kritavi, I can only imagine...DG is one of my favorite masters to listen to. What a tone!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Not only that, but allow me to admit something that's kinda-sorta embarrassing. I've been listening to Dexter, Sonny Stitt, 'Trane, etc. for almost 40 yrs and about 2 yrs ago while driving to a gig and listening to Stitt (can't remember the exact recording), I realized something that almost made me drive off the damn road. This video of Dexter is also a prime example of what I'm going to divulge...
Again and yes, his time (at times) is just a tad behind the beat, but never drags, but here was the "revelation" to me....
His 8th notes are almost exclusively played STRAIGHT. Yes, he does to the typical "swing" 8th's from time to time, but for the most part, the way he (and in MANY instances Stitt, 'Trane, etc) plays his 8th's are about as straight "up and down" as you can get. His sometimes heavy articulation is another topic, but combine that with the straight 8th's and slightly behind the beat playing, it's absofreakinglutely amazing. How I never noticed that in the decades of listening to him and the others mentioned above blows my mind. I (obviously) NEVER noticed that before and I"ll also add that for me, it opens up my brain to so many different ideas, lines, etc. when I play. This tempo area is the prime speed/time to do those straight 8th's.
So there......I just outed myself.....lol

*Edit* For those of you who aren't aware of Charles McNeal's transcriptions, he has this on his website: http://charlesmcneal.com/uploads/-LadyBird_DexterGordon_.pdf
His sense of rhythm and tempo is superior, he exemplifies the jazz feel....swings well, but not heavy-handed.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
And his left hand fingers are not even right on top of the pearl keys.
What did Dexter care? He just played at is best on that fantastic 'not-easy-to-play-fast' 10M.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts