Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just recently started messing around with an Antigua Winds soprano that I picked up locally (haven't played soprano in 20+ years, and even then hardly at all), and it came with a nice Runyon 6 mouthpiece. Well, I couldn't get the dang mouthpiece far enough on the cork no matter how much grease I used, so I diligently sanded down the cork bit by bit until.... SNAP, putting it on I cracked the flippin' mouthpiece right up the shank through the table to the window. This isn't the first time I've done this kind of thing to a mouthpiece, you'd think I'd learn!

Now, I didn't really want to spend much on soprano gear, as I play mostly tenor, a bit of bari, seldomly alto, and just now for giggles some soprano... I HAD less than 200 bucks into the whole soprano kit, and now I'm faced with spending some dough on a mouthpiece! I don't want to get complete crap, it would be a waste and put me off the little beast, but I don't want to spend any money - we just had twin girls for goodness sake.

Now that my self-rant is subsiding, anyone have any suggestions for a decent, all-around soprano mouthpiece on the cheap? Better yet, anyone want to sell me one?

Pete

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I'm having a good time with the barone vintage.

I see lots of guys with selmer SS, they're probably good, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,032 Posts
Bari Esprit or Yamaha 4C are two cheap pieces which seem to be pretty well thought of as good entry level pieces for soprano.

I'm partial to the C* myself. (insert mexican accent) No my SEESTAR is not for sale!:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Actually I have been using a Yamaha on soprano recently. Soprano was my main horn in college and I have owned about 25 sopranos and at leat twice that many mouthpieces. Teh standard Yamaha plays different from the Customs. Neither is better, just different. More edge with the customs. A custom 4C is equal to a standard 5C tip at .049", strange.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I suggest a Bari hard rubber piece (the one with the metal shank), you can get them used on ebay or on SOTW for around $40. The nice thing is they run big as far as shank diameter, they will slide really far onto your Antigua real easily. And they sound good. Many other pieces will be difficult to get on or off (I have an Antigua myself). I usually play a Barone Vintage though.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
D'oh! I have had students do that but have never done it myself.

I really like my Selmer Super Session J. I had a Barone Vintage in approximately the same tip opening, and it was not nearly as easy to play.

PM me if you're interested in a Yamaha Custom sop piece that came with my 875EX. I'll let ya have it cheap!

Steve

·
Registered
386 Posts
I also recommend the Bari hard rubber. I play a 68, but they are out of stock at WWBW. I recently bought a 70. Affordable, great sounding. Brandford plays a 68.

·
4,147 Posts
I have a Barone Vintage, and it is not easy to play but once you get used to it the sound is really good.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
morgan protone for the win?

·
4,147 Posts
jacobeid said:
morgan protone for the win?

Ooooh those are nice for how cheap they are. Or just plain nice...

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
hakukani said:
I'm having a good time with the barone vintage.

I see lots of guys with selmer SS, they're probably good, too.
Don't know what's meant by "on the cheap," the these two pieces (I use the selmer SS J, which is a fabulous piece IMO) while not the most expensive around aren't exactly cheap pieces either. . . .

I want to try a Barone vintage, though.

·
2,487 Posts
send the runyon to meeeeeee!!!
i agree with the C* and baris, maybe try a tonedge? they're affordable and pretty darn good

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Martinman said:
Ooooh those are nice for how cheap they are. Or just plain nice...
Yup, I got mine for $16 to see how it played. I put my EZ'd bari away for the morgan.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies! Well, the Protone sounds great, but I can't find one anywhere!

Maybe I'll have a go at crazy-glueing the Runyon, and banding the shank (I'll have to figure out what to band it with).

Or, maybe those 4Cs would be cheap enough to work, if they aren't too closed (I can't look up the tip opening). I'm thinking about .060 is what I'm looking for. The Bari might be an option, but I'm trying to avoid spending that much.

Anyone ever play one of the Rico Royal Soprano pieces? I picked up one for Baritone on a bit of a lark (it was about 10 bucks) and was shocked at just how good it was. I sure like the price!

Qwerty thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it if I can't track something down soon...

Pete

·
13,032 Posts
The Ricos probably plays fine. I have a metalite which I don't regularly play, but I keep it in the case, just in case...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
The Protones are getting a bit hard to find but Junkdude may have them for a good price. I one one for tenor and one for soprano left, $60 each shipped US. Did you try the BARI Esprit? Also a pretty good mouthpiece and they are under $20. I think there is one on ebay for about $10 BIN.

·
5,444 Posts
SactoPete said:
Thanks for all the replies! Well, the Protone sounds great, but I can't find one anywhere!

Maybe I'll have a go at crazy-glueing the Runyon, and banding the shank (I'll have to figure out what to band it with).

Or, maybe those 4Cs would be cheap enough to work, if they aren't too closed (I can't look up the tip opening). I'm thinking about .060 is what I'm looking for. The Bari might be an option, but I'm trying to avoid spending that much.

Anyone ever play one of the Rico Royal Soprano pieces? I picked up one for Baritone on a bit of a lark (it was about 10 bucks) and was shocked at just how good it was. I sure like the price!

Qwerty thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it if I can't track something down soon...

Pete
You should be able to use a hose clamp available at any hardware store or perhaps a zip tie, again, available at hardware stores to use as a band. Just don't overtighten. The zip ties come in various widths, lengths and colors. That could be fund to experiment around with! Super glue that puppy and slap one of these on and give 'er a try!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts