Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several old reviews and threads mention that these mouthpieces are very tight on the neck cork.

Anyone bought one recently?
Are they still tight or have D'Addario modified them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
Still tight.
You can easily rebore the inner shank of the mouthpiece: problem solved.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
Wasn’t this an early run alto model problem that was fixed? I’ve played several examples on tenor, including a whole sales case with every size in black as well as multiple marbled rubber colors on tenor and they all fit my neck/ cork just fine.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The one I got back in March seems to have a standard bore, and fits my three tenors just fine. It remains one of my favourite pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
There is no 'standard' neck cork size. Most mouthpieces have different shank bore diameters, including examples of the same model. The entire question is ridiculous. When you try a mouthpiece that's too tight for your cork, you have to sand down the cork to even try it. Its a risk, but unavoidable. If you like it, you're done. If you don't like it, you now need to install a new cork. The idea of boring out an expensive mouthpiece to make it fit a cheap neck cork is not something I would ever recommend because I believe it can change the mouthpiece. Plus, if its a 'trial' mouthpiece you can't alter it anyway unless you keep it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a FYI: Recent Morgan mouthpieces I bought (alto and tenor) both required significant neck cork sanding to get an appropriate fit.

·
3,592 Posts
There is no 'standard' neck cork size. Most mouthpieces have different shank bore diameters, including examples of the same model. The entire question is ridiculous. When you try a mouthpiece that's too tight for your cork, you have to sand down the cork to even try it. Its a risk, but unavoidable. If you like it, you're done. If you don't like it, you now need to install a new cork. The idea of boring out an expensive mouthpiece to make it fit a cheap neck cork is not something I would ever recommend because I believe it can change the mouthpiece. Plus, if its a 'trial' mouthpiece you can't alter it anyway unless you keep it.
Wow, You always manage to sound like a dick no matter what thread you’re active on. Your I know all and always what’s best brand of condescension takes away from the knowledge and experience you have to share. Sure there’s no standardized bore size, but the alto bores on the early models were too small and they made a change in later runs. The original, per Rico, was the same as the Meyer they modeled as their base. No need to be mean to unknowns on the forum, especially on legitimate questions.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all your very helpful answers.

I first started playing alto, but I've just been playing soprano for several years - as a hobby.

Reviews suggest that the D'Addario Select Jazz mouthpieces are relatively "easy" to play - low notes, etc.
I'll probably buy a used tenor on approval, so I wouldn't want to sand the neck cork.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
With one tight custom tenor metal MP from a prominent maker compared to its HR mate, I had a machinist hone the bore (outer ¾") .004" of the metal MP to fit the cork with same compression as the HR piece since I was playing each every day to compare and contrast over a long period. Otherwise the HR piece would slide right off after replacing the metal.

The honed area is only where MP is on the cork, so I can't see how it changes the chamber dimensions or any quality of sound.

The maker suggested an alternative was to build up the HR piece ID with nail polish, but the metal one was tight compared to my other pieces so adjusting it is what I did.

·
3,592 Posts
I don't know about D'Addario current production, but the early complaints about tight bores on both anniversary HR alto and metal tenor kept me from trying them, as well as other issues (duck bill beak, burrs on window, uneven baffle profile, irregular rails) requiring refacing and fine finishing of brand new factory mouthpieces.

Regarding two custom tenor MP from a prominent maker I had a machinist hone the bore (outer ¾") .004" of the metal MP to fit the cork with same compression as the HR piece since I was playing each every day to compare and contrast over a long period. Otherwise the HR piece would slide right off after replacing the metal.

The honed area is only where MP is on the cork, so I can't see how it changes the chamber dimensions or any quality of sound.

The maker suggested an alternative was to build up the HR piece ID with nail polish, but the metal one was tight compared to my other pieces so adjusting it is what I did.
Rico/ d’Addario doesn’t even make metal mouthpieces...I played at least 10 different select jazz models on tenor, some were 1st run stock, and all were excellent in craftsmanship and playability. I’ve heard plenty of people say they don’t prefer rico pieces, but rarely if ever that they have poor craftsmanshipor quality control.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Rico/ d’Addario doesn’t even make metal mouthpieces...
Thank you, yes--I was confused and have corrected my post.

Dunno tenor, but when the alto Select Jazz were introduced I was told by a major retailer that the bore was both tight and the lip unchamfered so it left a prominent deep shelf on the cork. Also, there was an automated machining mark left on the window which prevented reeds from sealing well and the dealer had to file each piece prior to sale.

If I were in the market today I'd call Las Vegas and get the scoop.

·
Registered
165 Posts
In the past 10 months. I have bought 2 select jazz alto mps and 1 tenor mps. Both altos were tight on the neck cork, compared to my vandorens, meyers, and Lakey. I was able to get them on with alot of grease and no sanding. One mp was new in Match 2019, and the other was used about 8 months before I got it. The tenor mp fit fine with no significant difference then my vandoren, selmer,meyer, or saxscape mp models.
On the alto, I dipped neck cork in boiling water for 5 seconds to restore its size to what it was before trying the select jazz alto piece.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again to everyone for your helpful posts.
Looks like it is/was more of a problem with the alto models.

Also - perhaps it's a bit of a lottery buying certain makes of mouthpieces. A few weeks ago, I bought an Otto Link ebonite for my soprano. It is VERY tight compared to my Jody Jazz HR.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Also, I’d offer the question is not ridiculous at all. It’s a concern if you happen to play more than one mouthpiece on the same horn. The d Addario tenor mpcs I’ve had were a tighter fit, and rendered the cork compressed enough my rpcs were loose on the cork. Which was kind of annoying. I’ve read Mojo here on the forum mention he’s adjusted the inside shank diameter on mpcs like that to a more standard fit without any issues I believe.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
My best playing mouthpieces fit tight on the cork, Soloist, Slant Sig, EB Links, the Link Slant reissue. Well, I guess they don’t fit tight anymore since these are what I play or play around with.
I’d throw the D’Addario in there as one of the better mouthpieces as far as anything newer I’ve tried.
Smaller chambers play better for me, so I’ll assume smaller bore on the shank would mean a smaller chamber.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to of the Select Jazz pieces for tenor and both fit well on my cork. Slightly tighter than my other pieces, but in a good way, if anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently demoed a D'Addario Select Jazz tenor mpc and returned it partly for this reason. Most importantly, I didn't like the sound all that much. I found it a bit brash. But it also fit poorly on my neck cork - too loose for about the first 1/2"/1cm, then suddenly too tight. When I tried to push it in to where I tune, it started cutting into the cork. Aside from that, though, it was very well-made, esp. for an entirely machine-made mpc. Table flat, rails and tip even and thin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts