Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed upon ordering my usual D'addario Jazz Select Tenor reeds that the cost went up drastically.

I used to be able to get them at around $17.99. Now they have increased to $25.99 in all the stores I googled.
That is not a fair increase. I have played those reeds for a long time but they just priced themselves out of the market. $25.99 for 5 reeds is complete BS.

Bye D'addario!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Welcome to Canadian Prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rico/ D'Addario's used to be only a buck or two cheaper than Vandoren's but they were still both at least $25 for a box of 5.

With Tax a box of Vandoren's here is $30.25

Good thing a box lasts me at least 2 months. That's why I play them. They last and sound good. Makes the cost roughly $15 a month.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You scared me, but I just looked at ProWinds, and they are still $17.95. I might switch to Vandoren if Rico goes up in price. For me Vandoren cane is superior.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The quality of the D'addario Select Jazz reeds has gone down so far that I had to stop using them. Looking back at how few playable reeds I have gotten from D'addarrrio I really should have stopped buying them when they changed from Rico to D'addario. I really miss the Rico Select Jazz tenor sax reeds! They were great! D'addario really sucks!!!!!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
I haven’t been pleased with LaVoz since the switch either. It’s like there’s two different cuts in the same box and one is terrible. Lay out the ten reeds and they don’t even look the same.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I wonder what the price of reeds really is.
I have entertained working with some reed companies now that im in France.
Phil-tone Reeds anyone? :whistle:
I’d be very interested in supporting someone who cares about players, the quality of their product, and a reasonable price point.

Sounds like Phil to me....

·
3,581 Posts
Also, I saw DJS reeds, field and unfolded, on a retail shelf Saturday for 19.99 at a shop I consider generally overpriced even for a retail music store.

Edit: Siri prefers field and unfolded to filed and un-filed

·
3,581 Posts
Phil, You could send out the best cuts free with a new piece, then sell duds in expensive boxes that have a >50% fail rate (Vandoren samplers...)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im curious enough to look into it but you probably have to sell fifty thousand boxes to make twenty bucks

I wonder though....Francois Louis still has reeds available ,I wonder how he is able to keep it going...?
Changing the rate of scrape of reed is down to the numbers entered into a computer...the real outlay of money in my mind
would be to do with packaging and marketing...

there are quite a number of boutique reed companies in Europe that starting a collaboration would/could be
mutually benficial.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
You scared me, but I just looked at ProWinds, and they are still $17.95. I might switch to Vandoren if Rico goes up in price. For me Vandoren cane is superior.
At WWBW the Vandorens are $20.95 and the D'Addario Select Jazz are $25.99, for tenor.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Go for it! - Var isn't that far from you now!- take an American pot shot at the " Reed Cartel"!

BTW- Your intrepid 110 Tenor piece is still my No 1 go to piece with my Borg!!

Blowhard2

·
Registered
847 Posts
Go for it! - Var isn't that far from you now!- take an American pot shot at the " Reed Cartel"!

BTW- Your intrepid 110 Tenor piece is still my No 1 go to piece with my Borg!!

Blowhard2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts