Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing a Berg 110/1/SMS which was great for cutting through with my group but was difficult intonation wise. It tended to hang off the end of the neck no matter what I tried. And refacing SS was not worth it. Switched to the D'Addario and have not looked back. Full sound top to bottom and great intonation and response. A bit of brightness still which helps cut through but not brittle. It has changed my playing and calmed the eternal quest for the next best piece -- at least for a while. Would like to hear from other users if they have had a similar experience. Great piece and reasonable price. Consistent finish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like KD’s take-bright but not brittle. I play a Comm III and it breathes some life into my sound that I just could not find with the V16 T7 HR that was my main piece for several years before I got the JS-didn’t know it until I tried it but it was evident the first time I played it. Mostly use Rigotti 2 1/2s but ZZs and RSJs work for me as well. I’m just a weekend player but it seems to play well regardless of the type of music the gig calls for.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just recently bought one of these (7m) along with a vandoren Java (not jumbo) T75. I expected to like the vandoren better as I have played a variety of vandoren pieces on alto, tenor, bari over the years. I was surprised to find the D'Addario JS played with more resonance, better tone and was more versatile for me than the T75 on my Martin and JK Toneking Special horns, and the were very close on my Selmer SA80 II. I am definitely keeping the DAddario piece!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have to D8M, not the D7M along with the Vandoren T75. Compared to the T75, the D8M sound is quite full and will break through anything...free-blowing as all get out. Use Legere Signature 2.5 reeds on both.

The T75 is a bit easier for me control, and has a slightly more raspy sound quality. Just depends what you are looking for. Right now I am in my T75 phase.....but I am sure I will be switching back to the D8M some time soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I received my D'Addario JS D6M yesterday, and have been playing it with a vandoren 2.5 java red and a 2.5 Legere sig reeds. I really like it with the Legere. Martin Comm III, good intonation, and a beautiful full sound throughout.

My search had narrowed down to JodyJazz HR and D'Addario JS. I finally found enough youtube videos of decent recordings that I think for most players, the JS has a fuller sound throughout the range. I think there's a lot of success in D'Addario's design goals of producing a 50's-era piece.

And the cherry on top: Amazon Warehouse had a returned JS D6M Marble that just showed up the other day, for $138. After inspection and cleaning, it's a keeper!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
I'm using a JS on alto at present -always been a 'Meyer player' (sic).....bought it having a punt on Ebay,for very little- it came with a Rovner Platinum lig. It is a very good piece indeed and I am tempted to try a JS tenor piece..s'pose I should know better after nearly 50 years but GAS has no cure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts